Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Page 5 of 6
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Go to <http://www.sawstop.com/features.htm and move the mouse pointer over "cartridge system" and you'll find their statement that "The system's brake is housed in a cartridge that is easily replaced should the system ever be triggered. These replaceable cartridges enable the system to be quickly adapted for use with different sizes and types of saw blades. " I believe that the disengaging arbor is intended to avoid damaging the motor. Now though I'm wondering about this worm gear they mention. I'm having trouble visualizing how that works and they don't show the mechanism clearly enough in their pictures for me to be able to figure it out.

--
--John
xrongor wrote:

THAT'S the SawStop's technology, NO THANK YOU!
dave
xrongor wrote:

Fine, I'll rephrase the question so that maybe even you can understand it. When has there ever been an _opportunity_ for someone to get his hand cut off or be saved from getting his hand cut off by this system?

Fine, tell me how I can get one.

--
--John

I think J.Clarke is bored and likes to argue.
Leon wrote:

Nope. I just see a lot of hype and little product.
--
--John

It is not a widely used product yet. How can you demand results from something not being used yet? He is saying if the thing is ramrodded down our throats then there will most certainly eventually be people who benefit from it by not being injured. He is quite correct about that, there is no doubt. That doesn't mean, however that it should be a requirement any machinery.
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

He _said_ "foreveryfoolthatthinkstheyareinvincibleandmaygethurtdue to lack of respect, there are others (more people) that didnt get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked."
I'm merely attempting to ascertain the actual corporeal existence of at least one of these "others". Perhaps he meant something other than what he said. If so, he should have recognized that his phrasing was the source of my confusion and clarified.

--
--John

you arent trying to ascertain anything. you are stating as fact that sawstop doesnt work and doesnt exist. and ducking proving by trying to put me on the defensive.
what i was responding to was a question about whether or not more injuries would occur because people put too much trust in the system. which i think is false. im not claiming any actual hands were saved or cut off. im just saying that just because people use safety goggles and splitters it doesnt cause more accidents because they become complacent, and same with the sawstop. go back and check it out if you dont believe me. i think had you bothered to read the thread as it played out, it would be clear. it took quite a stretch to get us this far frank.. lets see how much further you can stretch it <g>
randy

oops, i didnt look clearly and put the wrong name, not you frank, jclarke i mean.
randy
xrongor wrote:

In what post did I state that it does not work? In what post did I state that it does not exist?
You appear to be trying to attribute to me a position that I do not hold for the purpose of advancing your own agenda whatever that might be.

I did read the thread. Are you familiar with a phenomenon called "thread drift"?

--
--John

Nobody said it doesn't work; in fact, the consensus of Da Wreck's previous discussions of SawStop is that it *does* work, and is pretty damn impressive besides.
Nobody said it doesn't exist, either. However, it *is* a fact that this machine is not yet (or is only *very* recently) in actual production.

Excuse me -- you *did* claim *exactly* that: "for every fool that thinks they are invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect, there are others (more people) that didnt get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked"

and you are only posting the part of the discussion you need to make yourself correct. let me put the whole thing back in context without some creative snipping. you're the second person to take the word NO off the front which makes what i said into a blind statement not the answer to someones specific question.:
(start here) (the question i was responding to was:)

(my answer was)
no. for every fool that thinks they are invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect, there are others (more people) that didnt get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked. in fact in many cases it would probably even save the fool.
not to mention anyone who thinks the safety device is a substitute for thinking is gonna get hurt no matter what eventually...
(stop here)
i was speaking in context of answering that question. i think all but the most hardheaded can see clearly that i wasnt actually claiming any hands cut off or not cut. just making a comment on whether or not safety devices cause accidents by making people complacent.
now step off please.
randy
xrongor wrote:

No, it's not clear at all _what_ you intended. Try "No. For every fool who thinks he is invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect there would be others that didn't get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked."

--
--John

you want me to cut your steak for you to <g>
randy

make oneself understood; rather, it is to make it impossible to be misunderstood."

which is, impossible.
randy
Millions of hotdogs are resting easier all over the world tonight....

I don't recall them stipulating human flesh, and this is one reason I won't buy one. I am afraid my cat pushsticks would trip the stupid thing.
Frank
If there are cat parts in a weenie your push stick should automatically be ruled out. ;~)

Do a search on this group for that device and you will find all kinds of info and opinions.