Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

you want me to cut your steak for you to

randy

Reply to
xrongor

so you are WILLING to use poorly thought-out technology that self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Krow responds:

Ah, well...why would you "run your fingers" into the blade.

First, that's not the only choice, and it is almost an incidental one as minor table saw accidents far outnumber even single digit amputations. Second, if you're so bloody nervous about running your fingers into the saw blade, buy a Brett Guard or one of the others on the market. Very effective, easy to use, no false positives, a great addition to any table saw, with proven technology that even adds a dust collector point to the top of your table saw blade, where it's really needed.

The trade is not necessarily a body part for a destroyed PM 66. It's more likely to be a moderate cut for the same PM 66. Or a false reading when you're

10' away from the saw.

Your hands. Your money.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I suppose you have documentation that indicates that the saw self destructs.

Reply to
Leon

In "On Writing Well" William Zinsser wrote "the purpose of writing is not to make oneself understood; rather, it is to make it impossible to be misunderstood."

Doug Miller

which is, impossible.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

nobody is gonna argue that saving a finger from amputation is worth more than a machine.

what is not acceptable is having a system foisted off on us in the name of safety that randomly disables your table saw until you replace a $75 part that is available from only one vendor, who has so far a track record of being unable to deliver *anything* when they promise to, who believes their path to economic success in the marketplace is to hire lawyers to pass legislation that makes

*everyone* with a saw buy their product. f*ck that.

what will happen is that after a few false trips and a few hundred dollars pissed away most people will override the damn thing. then you will have a bunch of machines in use with NO safety equipment.... sort of like every table saw I've ever used. guess what? I still have all of my fingers, and I've been using tablesaws professionally for over

20 years.
Reply to
bridger

Whether the saw self-destructs is one thing, the device itself self-destructing is quite well established. Brush finger against side of blade, saw stops. You're dead in the water until the can send you a new cartridge.

Reply to
J. Clarke

ISTR a football player who lost a part of a finger to play in a Superbowl/Playoff game. He could have not played and had the part of the finger reattached but instead chose the glory of the gridiron over completeness of body parts. I don't recall the name but it wasn't Steve DeBerg.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

no! I was foolishly relying on what another poster mentioned about the operation of the SawStop. WHAT WAS I THINKING???!! :)

Leon, I don't have enough interest in the SawStop to investigate their various claims. I've given it a cursory look-see and dismissed it. My Unisaw will most likely be my last TS. Not that it MIGHT be a worthwhile investment for someone in the market for an overpriced TS.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

so IF you override the safety is there a big red warning flag that pops ups to alert all users that it is now just a "regular" TS??

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Not that it MIGHT be a

looks like I left out a "not" after "MIGHT". kinda, sorta changes the meaning of the last sentence to what I was intending.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yeah I am sure no one would have the fore site to get an extra cartridge when they buy the saw.

This whole thread on this matter is the republicans against the democrats. Neither side is completely wrong.

Reply to
Leon

How often does the thing false? If it does it often you might use up a lot of cartridges at 75 bucks a pop.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But what about hot dogs? We know the Saw Stop is effective if you drop your lunch but will the Brett Guard protect my wiener from a tragic end if it falls on the saw table during lunch?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm sorry. It's late and I can't come up with a response that will give this setup justice. Anyone else?

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

dog(weiner) to show how it worked... and it did stop... the hot dog only had a nick on it... better than loosing a finger(just a nick)...

Reply to
dbird

okay, I should have said... few will argue.....

bite me.

Reply to
bridger

If the Brett Guard is working properly, your wiener will not be detached and there fore will not fall of the table saw. LOL

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ronnie Lott. Hall of Fame Free safety, SF 49er's. Otherwise, an apparently sane individual, who was also a hell of a pro football player.

Re: Saw Stop: Let the market decide.

Reply to
patriarch