New safety device idea

How about a device that cuts off power to the router when it hears a loud bang?

The same device could also be rigged to order a new pair of underwear.

Thought it was the bit breaking at first, but uh, while trimming laminate? Then the puff of smoke out of the router was a significant clue, as was the sound of something rattling around inside it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

One of those "Clapper" light controls comes to mind. No, forget that. It requires 2 bangs to turn it off, and then if there are any more bangs (like the sound from swearing loudly) it'll just turn the router back on.

Glad you didn't get hurt. The laundry should take care of the other problem. As for the router, I guess it's time to go buy that fancy new one that you've been looking at.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

You wouldn't happen to remember the make, model, and year of that router, would you? :-)

Reply to
else24

Dewalt 618. Just a fluke I guess, it hadn't really seen that much use either. I may buy another one so I can make use of the bases.

If there's one thing I'd like different though is the power switch in a place I can reach without letting go of the handle for when I went to shut the damn thing off in a hurry :)

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

If it's a DW618 it can't be very old. They've only been on the market about

3 years. Maybe you should try to get Dewalt to repair/replace it under warranty first (you did keep your receipt didn't you)

I have one and love it. It has seen considerable use over the last 2 years with no problems at all. Yours must have a manufacturing defect (at least that's what I would tell them).

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Definitely wouldn't hurt to bug Dewalt about it a little bit - I'd certainly expect better, unless you've been using it continuously for the last 3 years. I have a 618 also, and have had no problems. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

########################## I have an alert for router owners. when I worked for the Feds as a carpenter, I used to carry my tools in plastic 5 gal buckets, One day I threw some extra nails and items in a bucket to clean up an area. Later I turned on a router to trim & heard a FFFT. found out later a nail shorted out the innards. Ever since that time, I wrap the router in a cloth to keep the *innards* clean. Expensive lesson !

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1