Hemel oil fire: structural damage

Hundred of people are reporting that their houses shook within quite a wide radius of Buncefield.

When a house shakes like that, is there no structural damage done? I should have thought that the entire structure must be weakened somewhat, even if far enough from the blast for no windows to be blown out. One Surrey contributor to the BBC Have Your Say forum said that she found cracks in the walls the next morning. Insurance claims following this event are likely to be huge.

MM

Reply to
MM

Just been announced on TV that it was around 2.5 (if my memory is correct) on the Richter scale.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Richter scale is *logarithmic*, so 2.5 is 2/3s of knack all.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The blast wasn't particularly great by explosives standards, the reason it was felt and heard a long way away was because of a nice inversion in the atmosphere which ducted it for some distance. The same inversion kept the smoke up as well so fumes have not been a problem at all (it has been very dark though!). Outside of the immediate area (say 1km radius) its unlikely any structural damage to buildings could occur.

What occurred was a large mass relatively low velocity explosion. The devastation it has caused on the adjacent industrial estate is going to dwarf domestic claims.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Sunday morning I was woken up by a loud shunting, bang, bang, bang sound. I though it came from the radiator. I checked all the heating out and found nothing. From the TV I found it was the oil depot going up. I am nowhere near Hemel. It must have been a hell of a bang. I hope the smoke drops over places like Wokingham.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doesn't take much movement for plasterboard to show cracks. Did they specify external or internal walls having cracks in? Surrey is a long way away from Buncefield - and whilst the weather inversion can cause sounds to travel a long way - there's a difference between hearing a low rumble as others around here (I'm in Guildford, Surrey), and a sound wave strong enough to crack brickwork.

Our house physically moves each time a bus goes past us (about 6-8 per hour) as there is a fault/joints in the road causing the bus to bump over it which we then feel. I've often wondered whether there's any problem with this with regard to structural integrity etc. Seeing as all the houses on the street are still standing (from 1930's), I'm guessing not.

David Hearn

On average, Britain gets an earthquake in the same magnitude range about once a fortnight. There was a more powerful one in Fort William the previous day. If houses were not built to withstand that much shaking, there would not be many left standing.

Had she looked for them the day before and not found any, or had she just noticed them because she looked? Most houses have some cracking somewhere. The important ones are the ones that change.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Milton Keynes isn't that far away.

No it didn't actually. Sorry to disappoint. Anyway, I'm 850 miles away.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is just up the M1 from Hemel. But there was no oil explosion there Matt. The noise came from the Hemel direction on the MK one. MK has a Makita dealership you know.

In Milton Keynes. I wish that horrid little town called Wokingham was that far away.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Do you mean "naff all" or are you a debollocker by trade :-))

Reply to
Nobody

A perfectly understandable assumption given your plumbing skills.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Reply to
Roger

No, just one of my European tours....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Deported?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Do you mean my radiator is connected to Hemel?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Looking at yachts on the Riviera.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Scrubbing decks eh. Any takers yet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Enjoying coffee and croissants....

Reply to
Andy Hall

A hard days scrubbing does make one peckish.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

At this time of night?

Reply to