Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Page 3 of 6
Leon wrote:

How often does the thing false? If it does it often you might use up a lot of cartridges at 75 bucks a pop.

--
--John
Leon wrote:

mentioned about the operation of the SawStop. WHAT WAS I THINKING???!!     :)
Leon, I don't have enough interest in the SawStop to investigate their various claims. I've given it a cursory look-see and dismissed it. My Unisaw will most likely be my last TS. Not that it MIGHT be a worthwhile investment for someone in the market for an overpriced TS.
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:
Not that it MIGHT be a

changes the meaning of the last sentence to what I was intending. <g>
dave
Krow responds:

Ah, well...why would you "run your fingers" into the blade.
First, that's not the only choice, and it is almost an incidental one as minor table saw accidents far outnumber even single digit amputations. Second, if you're so bloody nervous about running your fingers into the saw blade, buy a Brett Guard or one of the others on the market. Very effective, easy to use, no false positives, a great addition to any table saw, with proven technology that even adds a dust collector point to the top of your table saw blade, where it's really needed.
The trade is not necessarily a body part for a destroyed PM 66. It's more likely to be a moderate cut for the same PM 66. Or a false reading when you're 10' away from the saw.
Your hands. Your money.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

But what about hot dogs? We know the Saw Stop is effective if you drop your lunch but will the Brett Guard protect my wiener from a tragic end if it falls on the saw table during lunch?
<snip>

I'm sorry. It's late and I can't come up with a response that will give this setup justice. Anyone else?
todd

If the Brett Guard is working properly, your wiener will not be detached and there fore will not fall of the table saw. LOL

I don't relish the thought of the puns that will follow. I expect the crowd will mustard replacements and try to catchup in the run-on puns. Will they have to go to the Mayo clinic for surgery. (pre-emptive strike.)

nobody is gonna argue that saving a finger from amputation is worth more than a machine.
what is not acceptable is having a system foisted off on us in the name of safety that randomly disables your table saw until you replace a $75 part that is available from only one vendor, who has so far a track record of being unable to deliver *anything* when they promise to, who believes their path to economic success in the marketplace is to hire lawyers to pass legislation that makes *everyone* with a saw buy their product. fuck that.
what will happen is that after a few false trips and a few hundred dollars pissed away most people will override the damn thing. then you will have a bunch of machines in use with NO safety equipment.... sort of like every table saw I've ever used. guess what? I still have all of my fingers, and I've been using tablesaws professionally for over 20 years.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

ISTR a football player who lost a part of a finger to play in a Superbowl/Playoff game. He could have not played and had the part of the finger reattached but instead chose the glory of the gridiron over completeness of body parts. I don't recall the name but it wasn't Steve DeBerg.
-- Mark
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:17:13 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

okay, I should have said... few will argue.....
bite me.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in wrote:

Ronnie Lott. Hall of Fame Free safety, SF 49er's. Otherwise, an apparently sane individual, who was also a hell of a pro football player.
Re: Saw Stop: Let the market decide.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

flag that pops ups to alert all users that it is now just a "regular" TS??
dave
wrote in message

i think there is some confusion about the term 'vaporware' which is defined as websters as:
"Products announced far in advance of any release (which may or may not actually take place)"
saw stop claims that you can buy one today. if this is true, its not vaporware. if its not it is. whether or not somebody actually owns one is irrelevant.
randy
Randy notes:

I think you can order one today. Whether or not that counts as "buying" one, I don't know, but the bigger question is, are there any in the hands of Joe. Q. Boardbuster.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
wrote in message

Well you can *order* one, or at least get on a list. It seems as though it's been a couple of years now that you could *order* one. To my knowledge, none have been delivered to the public. Per the definition you cite, it certainly appears to be vaporware. It's been discussed in this newsgroup now since 2000. It makes one wonder why it hasn't gone to market yet. If you want to say it isn't ready, then fine, but why take preorders for two years? Doesn't seem to be the way to make people happy by putting them on a 2 or 3 or forever year waiting list.
todd
Todd Fatheree responds:

Yes. They're still taking only pre-orders. I first saw this thing at the 2000 IWWF. They started taking pre-orders at the next IWWF, if memory serves. That was almost two years ago, now. It seems just a little bit like the boy who cried wolf, doesn't it?
And I would very much like to know where they get the figure of 30,000 injuries on table saws.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

If you go to <http://www.cpsc.gov/library/neiss.html> you can query the Consumer Product Safety Commission database. The database has actual results from a sample set of hospitals, which is used to estimate the national statistics, if they get enough reports to allow an estimate to be calculated. It also has case histories online and will show up to 30 of them for each query.
It shows an estimate of 33,000 table-saw related injuries requiring a hospital visit in 2002. They estimate 3503 amputations, all of which were of one or more fingers. They estimate 22,105 lacerations and 3595 fractures. An estimated 28,271 of the injuries of any kind were to fingers. 24,498 occurred in a home, 7612 occurred in an "unknown locale", they have no estimate for the number that occured in an "industrial place"--they had _one_ reported--a 77 year old man lost his left thumb. They had no estimate for the number that occured in a school--they had 13 reported, only two of which were amputations, one "partial" of two fingers and the other the tip of the left ring finger, the rest were lacerations or fractures except for one kid who got something in his eye.

--
--John

My understanding is that the goal is/was to stop the blade as soon as it made contact with a person without destroying the blade. It took some testing to achieve both goals.
--
Mac Cool

xrongor wrote:

Where does Sawstip claim that you can buy one today? They have a page where it is possible to place a "non-binding preorder" for one of two models, which will be shipped if they ever actually have a product. I'm still waiting for the Zeos PCI/Microchannel motherboard that I preordered back in '87 or thereabouts.
The fact that they will take an order does not mean that they will ever deliver the product that you ordered. Until they _deliver_ product it's vaporware.

--
--John