Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Page 1 of 6
A device that stops a blade within 5 ms of contact with human flesh. Videos of operation at http://www.sawstop.com/home.htm (this site may be 'slashdotted', so check back in a day or so if you can't see it).
This device was introduced in 2001, and was supposed to be commercially available by 2003. The device is supposed to add about $150 to the cost of a consumer-grade table saw or bandsaw.
Gotta wonder, though... will this type of technology actually *increase* injuries because of a reduction in respect for the tool?
--
Howard Lee Harkness
Insurance for H1-Bs: http://www.H1Bins.com

Only for very very stupid people and they'd probably find a way to cut them selves on a pencil sharpener.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

This has been talked about here for quite a while, 3 or 4 yeare IIRC.

Only for those that can find a way to get hurt by a saw that is not plugged in. Does the safety on a gun make it more dangerous because it will encourage you to look down the barrel of a loaded gun? If you are tye type person that would not have some fear of a 3400 rpm blade because you know that it will stop turning if you touch it, something else is going to get you long bedor the saw will. Pedestrians always have the right of way on the street. Those that practice that right over better judgement get hit by cars. Like anything else in life, there are dangers all around us all the time. The Saw Stop is designed to lessen the results of an accident, not prevent the accident. If you think that it would make you less careful around the saw, perhaps you should not be around the saw to start with.

Nope. Never heard of it.
todd

The problem with this new device is that all table saws made previously are defective in the eyes of greedy lawyers. They will demand table saw manufacturers incorporate this device on all new saws and provide recalls to retrofit old saws. Also, what about the thousands who have lost fingers to the evil table saw. They will demand compensation because their saw did not have this safety feature. It's all about sucking the money out of the evil corporations and there is no personal responsibility.
Not being negative about the safety device. It has to prove it's worth (cost vs. benefit). It's just that someone else is always deciding this for us idiots who can't do anything without hurting ourselves.
Howard wrote:

The number one safety feature of any device is the one between your ears.
--

Christian Groth

Nothing is fool-proof;

Exactly, and it even makes mistakes. Note the first line of your line below.

My son-in-law is a woodworker and a family practice physician. He has seen the demo and is concerned this is going to cut in on his business.
Seriously, I know nothing about it. I do know I got cut pretty bad a few years ago after the saw was turned off. I walked back to the machine to pick up a piece of cutoff and didn't notice the blade was still spinning. I doubt if this would protect us from this kind of stupidity.

seen
I did the almost same thing almost 16 years ago. I e-mailed the Saw Stop people a couple of years ago and they indicated that the device will work even if the power to the motor has been turned off.

You're kidding, right? This thing will fire if you touch the blade after power has been removed from the motor? How in the hell are you supposed to change blades without this thing going off?
Frank

With great difficulty and a lot of time.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Most likely it shuts itself down when the blade stops moving.
--
--John

Ever tried changing a blade without moving it?
Presumably if you pull the power cord, you'd shut it down.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

I don't generally turn on the power in order to do it. Geez, it's the 21st century--kitchen appliances have more processing power than a '60s mainframe--how hard do you think it is to program a control so that "if power has been turned on and off and blade is moving and skin touches it activate, if blade has stopped and moves again and power has not been turned on then do not activate".

How much power do you think it draws? I suspect that it has some kind of backup power source with enough juice to keep it armed until the saw quits turning. That's the way I'd design it.

--
--John

Ah, but you sound like you know what you're doing. How many electronic or electrical gadgets do you own or use that are 'perfect'? This keyboard fer instance ....

21st
now YOU know how it feels when someone takes what you said and twists it to come to the stupidest possible conclusion...
randy
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:04:10 GMT, Lobby Dosser
......and in reply I say!:
The sawstop will work when no power is applied to the MOTOR. If you change blades with power applied to SAW the you deserve what you get.

A person being concerned about safety and his well being would probably UNPLUG the saw.

Which I never bothered doing, until seeing a thread here a year or so back about a Unisaw that turned on by itself (apparently a defective switch). Figuring that mid-blade-change is a bad time for this to occur, I _always_ unplug now before changing blades. It takes only a few seconds.