annoyances

For some months I have been doing boring stuff like framing, drywall, painting, etc. Tile too. Tons of tile. Tile by the 1000s.
I have finished all that and am ready to begin some more interesting projects, all of which involve African mahogany contrasted with black. I have made all my SketchUp drawings, done the take offs, run those through Cutlist+ so I know how much of what stock I need and to what sizes the stock must be cut.
Mostly, the black was meant to be 3/4 black melamine. Now, I don't much like melamine board but it has advantages; namely. it doesn't need finishing and it is (should be) inexpensive. I won't have to worry about taping most edges as they will be hidden.
Now, here is the annoyance: Lowes doesn't carry it and won't/can't get black; all they have is 3/4" white at about $40 per 4'x8' sheet. All HD carries is 5/8 white mel board (about $35) but they can get black for $90/sheet. I'll fry in hell before I pay $90. A local cabinet supply place has it for $60. I didn't ask the price for white but I bought 25-30 sheets from them a few years back for $700. More now, I am sure, but I bet its not $60.
What is the deal about black mel board?? If I lived in the upper midwest I could walk into a Menards and buy white OR black @ $29.97. Actually, I could buy any of the 12-15 colors it is made in from them (they might have to special order those).
I tell you, it is not easy living in the hinterlands of central Florida where "good" wood is #1 common instead of #2.
I don't expect any resolution from you, just venting...
--

dadiOH
____________________________

It's worse in south Fla.
Anyway, if Dixie Plywood isn't too far from you, you might try giving them a call.
There also used to be a place in Jax, Florida Southern Plywood or something like that, that had a wide variety of sheet goods.
John
"dadiOH" wrote:

How many sheets are you willing to buy?
When I was building the boat, negotiated directly with the sheet goods wholesalers.
Would buy a standard unit (70 shts) of 4 ply CDX (Approx 40+ lbs/sheet).
Got it delivered by their 18 wheeler with a rear lift gate.
Since a unit was almost 3,000 lbs, having access to my landlord's towmotor to position unit for easy sheet access didn't hurt<G>.
Lew
On 3/10/2015 3:15 PM, dadiOH wrote:

in 3/4 was simply not available from any of my known suppliers in the Houston area. I opted for Cherry.
Leon wrote:

At least its good to know I am not alone. I really don't get it though, I used to see stacks of it at HD. Maybe almond too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

board - generally on sawdust core. Recently I've seen white "shelf board" with wheat straw core.
I do know of a cabinet manufacturer that generally has both the sawdust core and MDF available in several colours, where I have purchased materials when required.

There used to be lots of good stuff at Home Depot that has since been replaced with vacuum cleaners, detergent, and windshield wiper blades.
John
(who thinks Home Depot is trying to compete with Walmart)
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 14:26:39 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:03:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They already have the pharmacy. ;-)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/d-CON-12-oz-Rat-and-Mouse-Killer-Ready-Mixed-Baitbits-12-Pack-002028/100670331
AKA Coumadin or Warfarin.
dadiOH wrote:

Update: I went to Lakeland to buy some lumber this AM (170 bd.ft. of poplar) and stopped by the cabinet supply shop mentioned above "just to check" on the way (I had phoned the first time). They can get black melamine in a day or two, same price as the white, $37 + tax. Works for me, I'm happy again.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Where you gets your poplar in Lakeland? How much? Might be worth taking a detour next time I go upstate...
John
John McCoy wrote:

Here http://www.hardwoodlumberandmillwork.com/
It isn't really a lumber yard, mostly a guy that does custom wood and mill work that also stocks reasonable quantities of a fair number of species.
I paid $2.73 including 7% tax for the poplar. Could have got it from NC for $1.80, would have saved some even with shipping but I prefer to pick what I buy if I can.
--

dadiOH

Thanks! $2.73 doesn't sound bad, allowing for shipping and a fair profit to the seller. Certainly a better price than anywhere I know in S Fla.
John