Amusing conversation with Rockler customer service

If they change the terms after the button is pushed it gets unpushed.

Really? How so? I looked at their "Prime" membership and didn't see an advantage, no matter how much I bought from them. ...and I do buy quite a bit from Amazon (the Unisaw is the biggie this year).

Reply to
keithw86

Same here. It's just a B&W laser, but it has duplexing and networking. It's an HL5250DN which is probably an obsolete model by now.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Really? How so? I looked at their "Prime" membership and didn't see an advantage, no matter how much I bought from them. ...and I do buy quite a bit from Amazon (the Unisaw is the biggie this year).

========= The big advantage is never having to worry about shipping charges. Some external vendors take part in the free shipping, but many do not. Very often, I prefer to buy from Amazon if they offer it with Prime shipping. I remember a time when I obsessed over adding a few more little things to the cart to hit their "free" shipping special du jour. Maybe I save money; maybe I don't. Now, I just click the "Two Day 1-click -- FREE" button when I see something that strikes my interest. In the past 2 years, I bought a 5 hp chipper, rototiller, 2-stage snowblower, and a drillpress. Those are the big items. For the shop... plenty, come to think of it. A new Woodworker II, Kreg bs fence, CMT router bit set; even little things like a quart of Titebond. The prices are competitive, and it would be hard to beat the shipping and convenience.

Reply to
MikeWhy

So long as you can wait a few days, Amazon offers free super-saver shipping without a Prime membership. I cannot think of anything I've bought from amazon that I can't wait a week or so to get.

Remember the old days when we'd hit the Sears catalog store once a blue moon to order whatnot, turnaround times of two weeks were not uncommon. (now the same small town has its own walmart - I'm not sure instant gratification is worth that :-)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Many don't participate in the "free shipping", either. Grizzley doesn't.

I'm sure my Unisaw had hefty shipping charges too, but it was bought from Amazon with "free shipping". Again, I don't see the purpose, for another $80.

Reply to
krw

Been there, done that. At least on chat you could decipher the English, via phone technical service, not so much. I am so glad DSL finally came to my little corner of the desert. I know that doesn't do much good for you, it's probably gonna be a while before you get a central office within 2 miles of you. :-) But hey, you've got the beach.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mac, check the web-site

this one might be a go there.

PS, just because it was shipped UPS doesn't mean it will get delivered via UPS. Both UPS and FedEx has a "deal" they forced on the USPS, where the USPS gets to deliver the package (at a discount). I just this week got a box from Harbor Freight, that was shipped via FedEx and delivered by the USPS to my PO Box

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I have noticed that also, shipped by the bigger package carrier and delivered by the PO.

How do you suppose the PO was forced?

Reply to
Leon

It's called "Basic" service at UPS. If you try to track a UPS shipment and the type of service shows as Basic, it will be delivered by the mail carrier. Tracking is a little better than that for Priority Mail, but not much.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Just discontinued very recently. I am in mourning. We got a bunch of them for the private school my wife teaches at because they are cheap, reliable and easy on toner costs. Not sure what we will be replacing them with in the future.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Political pressure (per a retired Postal offical I know)

The USPS gets paid a small amount to execute delivery, per the same person the USPS loses money on the transaction. Just like "bulk" mail and "media" mail. But the Congress doesn't let them raise their rates

Reply to
Ralph

Why should they be able to, we're already paying the higher rate through our taxes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

???? The US Postal Service is a quasi-governmental agency that does not receive taxpayer funding. Further, postage rates are not set by Congress. There was an agreement in 2003 that the postal service would not raise rates for 3 years, but that agreement expired three years ago.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The USPS DOES get taxpayer money.

The government pays the postal service for the mail it sends and to support programs such as mail for the blind and election ballots for members of the armed services.

Reply to
HeyBub

And UPS gets taxpayer money for the packages the government sends too. You're nitpicking pointlessly.

Reply to
J. Clarke