Amusing conversation with Rockler customer service

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:04:05 -0700, mac davis

well...... at least they didnt hit you with several shipping charges. This just happened to me with amazon. Apperently the order [that was ordered all at the same time and paid for all at one time with the same card] had to be shipped from 3 seperate vendors so I got hit with 3 shipping charges! It was cabinet hardware and could have all come from the same vendor. 23 bucks for an 87 dollar order? bit much..... Care to guess who wont get any more of our business? Be glad rockler will work it out for ya cause amazon would not! hope all arrives soon mac.
skeez

Shipping charges weren't disclosed when you place your order?

Shipping charges weren't disclosed when you place your order?
=========Amazon is usually pretty good about doing that. The only bad surprise I got in the past few years was a vendor that slapped on sales tax after the order was completed. It seems everyone is a bit more strident these days, more ready to nickel and dime you. I very seldom pay shipping on Amazon. Or maybe you might say I pre-pay the entire year's shipping costs up front every October. I order enough from Amazon that the $80 Prime membership pays for itself a few times over.

If they change the terms after the button is pushed it gets unpushed.

Really? How so? I looked at their "Prime" membership and didn't see an advantage, no matter how much I bought from them. ...and I do buy quite a bit from Amazon (the Unisaw is the biggie this year).

Really? How so? I looked at their "Prime" membership and didn't see an advantage, no matter how much I bought from them. ...and I do buy quite a bit from Amazon (the Unisaw is the biggie this year).
========The big advantage is never having to worry about shipping charges. Some external vendors take part in the free shipping, but many do not. Very often, I prefer to buy from Amazon if they offer it with Prime shipping. I remember a time when I obsessed over adding a few more little things to the cart to hit their "free" shipping special du jour. Maybe I save money; maybe I don't. Now, I just click the "Two Day 1-click -- FREE" button when I see something that strikes my interest. In the past 2 years, I bought a 5 hp chipper, rototiller, 2-stage snowblower, and a drillpress. Those are the big items. For the shop... plenty, come to think of it. A new Woodworker II, Kreg bs fence, CMT router bit set; even little things like a quart of Titebond. The prices are competitive, and it would be hard to beat the shipping and convenience.

So long as you can wait a few days, Amazon offers free super-saver shipping without a Prime membership. I cannot think of anything I've bought from amazon that I can't wait a week or so to get.
Remember the old days when we'd hit the Sears catalog store once a blue moon to order whatnot, turnaround times of two weeks were not uncommon. (now the same small town has its own walmart - I'm not sure instant gratification is worth that :-)
scott
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 18:15:57 -0500, "MikeWhy"

Many don't participate in the "free shipping", either. Grizzley doesn't.

I'm sure my Unisaw had hefty shipping charges too, but it was bought from Amazon with "free shipping". Again, I don't see the purpose, for another $80.

Mac, check the web-site http://www.emailsfromcrazypeople.com , this one might be a go there.
PS, just because it was shipped UPS doesn't mean it will get delivered via UPS. Both UPS and FedEx has a "deal" they forced on the USPS, where the USPS gets to deliver the package (at a discount). I just this week got a box from Harbor Freight, that was shipped via FedEx and delivered by the USPS to my PO Box
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

I have noticed that also, shipped by the bigger package carrier and delivered by the PO.
How do you suppose the PO was forced?

Political pressure (per a retired Postal offical I know)
The USPS gets paid a small amount to execute delivery, per the same person the USPS loses money on the transaction. Just like "bulk" mail and "media" mail. But the Congress doesn't let them raise their rates
Ralph wrote:

Why should they be able to, we're already paying the higher rate through our taxes.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

???? The US Postal Service is a quasi-governmental agency that does not receive taxpayer funding. Further, postage rates are not set by Congress. There was an agreement in 2003 that the postal service would not raise rates for 3 years, but that agreement expired three years ago.
J. Clarke wrote:

The USPS DOES get taxpayer money.
The government pays the postal service for the mail it sends and to support programs such as mail for the blind and election ballots for members of the armed services.
HeyBub wrote:

And UPS gets taxpayer money for the packages the government sends too. You're nitpicking pointlessly.
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 05:48:15 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg

It's called "Basic" service at UPS. If you try to track a UPS shipment and the type of service shows as Basic, it will be delivered by the mail carrier. Tracking is a little better than that for Priority Mail, but not much.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA