Air Nailers

Awhile back i asked for advice regarding air nailers & finish nailers.great advice....most recommended was Senco brand and you folks were right XP41 fantastic ! Now for 51 year old Mr Stupid story. Been doing woodworking/carpentry hobby for almost 40 years, finally got modern with the finish air nailer, thought i was in "Control" NOT! Typing with one hand right now, left hand in a thick bandage, covering the wound from a surgically removed 2 1/2" 15ga. nail that went through index finger, knuckle joint........ Took a chance by nailing through a small knot, rather than cut another board that was clear wood....Stupid. So be careful ! Should be back using the nailer on CLEAR wood in 2 weeks. It is a great machine though and would recommend ti to everyone.

Reply to
The mystery of 3 Only a few kn

OOOOOUch....... Glad to hear that you will be back up in a couple of weeks...

You mentioning that you "finally got modern" reminds of my close friend that is 18 years my senior. He is in the handy man repair business and occasionally he gets me to help with the jobs that require "woodworking". He has finally replaced his "MiterSaw", the kind that requires you to move your hand back and forth many times to cut a board, with an electric one. And still today he thanks me for introducing him to the Airless Palsode Framing Nailer that he now owns.

Reply to
Leon

Yeeeeeowwwwch, And the knuckle to boot. One thing I notice when people get nailers is they tend to run the longest nails they can thiniking they will be better but this can often be the outcome. Even if the nail doesnt hit a knot it can just be shot at a slight angle or veer out of the wood. When you shoot together say 1x stock with a 2 1/2 (not saying thats what you were doing) there is 1 3/4" of nail in the adjoining piece. Thats a lot of nail. I just find that often times people are shooting too long a nail for the application and blow outs like this are more common that way. I have had them myself but luckily no meat was in the way. Additionally when nailing thin stock (1x and under) it can be a trick to get the nailer lined up so the nail stays in the wood. Glad you are ok and will be back in the saddle again soon.

Mark

The mystery of 3 > Awhile back i asked for advice regarding air nailers & finish

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

If your hand is far enough away nailing through wood with knots should not be a problem. Anyway, don't feel so bad, I've known of a few similar incidents and came close myself with a framing nailer. You can't assume the nail is going to go straight in, whether the wood is clear or not.

Reply to
ATP

Me too. I think everyone has whether they will admit it or not. best rule I have heard (and obey faithfully) is to keep your hand at least the length of the nail AWAY from where the nail is doing the work.

Reply to
Ramsey