advice needed, maybe; Delta 14 inch BS riser assembly

Hey All, After many months of procrastination I began to install the riser kit on my Delta 14 inch bandsaw. My problem is that I can not separate the top section from the base. I was able to perch on the saw stand and lift from above, rocking the top but I could not dislodge it.

I did a search to see if others had any difficulty installing the riser kit on their Delta saws and the best suggestion I saw was to use a scissors jack and wood blocks to pry it apart. Has anyone else had problems getting theirs apart? My saw is about 12 years old , maybe older. No visible rust at the connection- I guess the roller pins are just tight. Thanks in advance, Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

If you haven't already, you might try spraying some penetrating oil (like Knocker lose or some other similar) in the joint a few times through out the day and let it soak over night. You might also be able to set a car jack in the throat with some blocks of wood in between and carefully break the joint lose that way.

Reply to
Jim Hall

But be careful that you have the upper part supported if you do this. Rather heavy and will come crashing down.

Harvey

Jim Hall wrote:

Reply to
eclipsme

I am sure you check a parts drawing, and know there are two precision alignment pins about 1.5 inches long that keep the upper and lower parts aligned during assembly. These two pins, due to the weight of the upper assembly, become wedged and hold the unit together. You can remove the top arm assembly only by lifting straight up.

Use your upper body and shoulder to apply pressure to the top section (not the wheel housing, but the massive iron arm) and beat the joint with a rubber mallet (not hard, just to vibrate the WD-40 around the pins.) Remember, you must lift straight up as they are very tight fitting alignment pins. You need to adjust you up-ward pressure more, or less, as you use the rubber mallet in order to lift the heavy top off the pins.

The re-assembly, with the pins is also a pain, because the assembly must be done straight up and down also. The alignment pins also keep the top from rotating when you torque down that big bolt. You are on your own as to just how much torque that big bolt takes when you add that riser. I have never seen a specification for Torque for that bolt.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

Reply to
marc rosen

Marc .. .. if you assembled it with roll pins, you might want to take it back off and use dowel pins. THey are much stronger and are what Delta used to include in the kit. If you have a factory kit and it uses roll pins, I guess that's what they are now using. I would double-check with Delta to be certain.

marc rosen wrote: Fitting the riser with the roll pins was easy

Reply to
Anonymous

Hey Bob, Thanks for the concern. The instructions state "roll pins" but they are dowell pins. I always thought roll pins were rolled up cylindrical pins that can compress slightly to fit snuggly. The pins included in the riser kit are solid with a slight end taper.

Marc

wrote:

Reply to
marc rosen