Grizzly 14" BS

I have owned one of these for two years and as a hobbyist, have put about one hour on it. I am a tool addict. Anyway...

When I run this machine, it sounds like there is a bearing rolling around in the area of the lower Wheel shaft/bearing assembly. Sounds like I am running the clothes dryer with a golf ball inside. The rapping sound is random but constant - reagardless of wether or not I am running wood thru. It has been used for 1" X material so far.

Anyone have any experience with this? I would be thankful for any feedback.

Reply to
Unsiaw

Yes - you have a bearing out. I had the same issue and they replaced the motor - it works fine now. I think I'm the exception to the rule in not caring for this bandsaw. I changed the roller bearings back to a block assembly and that helped but I still find it a difficult saw to tune and keep tuned.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

You're not the only exception. Struggled with one at school for over a year before giving up on it.

Reply to
George

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:59:00 -0400, Unsiaw calmly ranted:

I'm guessing that you've tightened all nuts and bolts on the entire unit to remove them from possibility.

I noticed this starting to occur on my G1012 and removed the guards to rule them out while I ran it. It was still there.

I found the culprit: the setscrews had come loose from both idler shaft and motor pulleys. I'll check them more often from now on.

Also check the support bearings (in back of the blade) for noise (they dry out) and proper setup. I eyeball mine, but the manual says to use a double-folded dollar bill as a feeler gauge.

If you still don't find it, remove the blade and spin the lower idler. It may be a bad wheel bearing after all.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

Amen!

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Just to "close the loop" on the matter. I removed the motot pulley and ran the motor without any load. No noise from the motor.

Then I hand spun the lower wheel and could feel enough chatter and play that I decided that this was the problem (bearings). So - I removed the two lower wheels and outter hub and called Grizzly. The bearings are cheap (2 at $9 each plus shipping) and I should have within 7 days.

This is not a machine for heavy use (G1019Z 14.5") . I bought the resaw accessory when I bought the machine, thinking I would be resawing material, but I'm not sure I will even bother installing it.

If a bandsaw ever becomes important to my hobby, I will upgrade.

THanks for the help.

snipped-for-privacy@charter.npspam. net

Reply to
Bmchan