Adhesive for PT lumber

Any thougths on glue for PT lumber? Looking to make a gate with lap joints and want to add the better living through chemistry to aid in the construction. Thanks

Because PT is most often still quite wet when you purchase it I prefer a Polyurethane glue which cures faster with the presence of moisture. Gorilla glue is one of the most common polyurethane glues.
With that said, Home Depot and IIRC LeeValley sell a "Gate Kit" that includes 4 steel reinforced angle brackets that receive 2x4's for the frame of the gate. 2 of the brackets have HD hinges. This results in a gate that stays square and does not sag. About $30. If nothing else the kit saves you $30 worth of time and effort. I always use these kits when building gates now.
On Wed, 31 May 2006 13:05:08 GMT, "Leon"

Then there's mortise and tenon with offset bored holes with draw-pins. The way they use to build barn frames that have lasted a century or two.

Those kits are just as handy as a bag of chips. I made a couple of gates, 3 years ago at my mom & dad's, and one of them is being slammed all the live long day. No saggingthe baked on finish is holding up well.
I have found that these gate brackets work fine for a standard-sized (4 foot) gate, but not so well with larger double gates, like for vehicle access. These still tend to sag enough that the gates jam each other when trying to close them. Maybe I did it wrong?

Slide Dawg wrote:

I've used Liquid Nails heavy construction adhesive on outdoor projects with good results.
--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

Get a better wood (I used Spanish cedar) and make the gate a focal point. Brass hardware looks very nice on it.

I made 2 combination arbor-gates about 7 years ago from PT lumber. I used Titebond 2 for one of them and polyurethane on the other. (I believe it was Elmer's brand) Can't see any problem with either one after 7 years. This was with joint quality that was closer to "woodworking" than "carpentry". If I was building something with gaps to be filled I would use one of the construction adhesives that comes in a caulking tube.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

After my limited experience with Gorilla glue, I think I'd stick with PL 400 (construction adhesive). The polyurethane glues get all foamy and aren't that strong, IMO.
As always, YMMV.