ACQ wood

Page 1 of 2
Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?
Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?

Here is the location of the information you want.
http://www.treatedwood.com/products/preserve/msds.html
In general it smalls bad (ammonia) and it is bad to eat. It is no where near as bad as the old treatment methods.
Read the safety sheet and follow the suggestions on the site and you should be fine. I have a small amount in an area of the basement where we had water problems as the sill board.
I would suggest you use regular wood in your basement, unless you have a real problem with standing water.
I have wooden shelves that are 15 years old in my basement, unpainted that show no signs of problems, including the sill board (the ones that lay on the floor) and the verticals that lay directly on the concrete wall.
Doug
Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?
Yes it is. The "new" treated lumber puts out an odor that make you both very sick. If you cut this type of wood indoors it can also explode. The new wood is very dangerous so be careful. I'm told it also contains carcinagens ( cancer causing agents). I would not reccommend using it indoors. My husband is the manager at a local Lowe's and we did alot of research on this wood. Most of our answers came from OSHA.
ddabney67 wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!
And OSHA told you it could explode if cut indoors?
Next time someone asks a question, and you don't know the answer, keep still. Don't just make up a bunch of crap.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah, aside from basic imporbability of it explodign in the first place, if it was going to explode, how would cutting it outdoors stops it from exploding?

Such as?
--

FF

You and your smart ass reply's can kiss my ass. I was only saying what we found on the internet. If you are cutting this type of wood inside and you happen to have a spark of any kind it can explode, try it maybe you will blow up! Call Hazmat and ask for a MSDS form on this wood if you don't believe me!!!!!
Doug Miller wrote:

Nancy wrote:

Um, and if it's posted on the internet, it must be true.
Yeah.
Or, you could follow Doug's advice and not post about things that you don't know anything about.
I know more about ACQ wood in my little finger than you guys have in your entire brain. Obviously if a woman knows something on this site it must be wrong. I agree with the other gentleman that said this site is obviously not one I want to be a part of. You are all too assanine for me.
Mike wrote:

Nancy wrote:

OK, Nancy, let me explain this to you. First of all, you are a top poster, which everyone who is familiar with usenet knows is a good way to make gibberish out of any thread. It also illustrates that the top poster is a newbie.
Second, when those of us who have been working in this field for the last 35 years hear something that we KNOW to be incorrect, we like to point it out. Take me for instance, I have purchased and used over $50,000.00 worth of ACQ treated lumber in the past year. It has been used in a variety of applications, including situations indoors. It has never been a problem, except for the attention to detail in regards to fasteners that must be paid to its use.
Last month we built, in an indoor workshop, a set of stairs for a deck along with the metal handrails for both the deck and the stairs. We had people sawing ACQ treated lumber right beside people using grinders and cutting torches. No explosion. When we were through, we swept up a wheel barrow full of sawdust and metal shavings. If it won't explode in that environment, I doubt that it will.
Being that I and my employees have and will continue to use this material for the foreseeable future, it is my job to be educated on the issue. This is not for curiosity sake, but because my livelihood depends on being able to use it safely and effectively. If you think that you know more about it than I do, you are mistaken. If you get it wrong, no problem. If I get it wrong, projects may not be built correctly, sick employees may sue me, clients may sue me for shoddy work and I may go out of business. Who do you think has more of a stake in the knowledge base?
You may have read about this a bit, but I have read everything that I can find about it and even if I hadn't educated myself, I would know from experience that what you posted about it is uninformed bullshit.
Sorry if you don't like that, but it is the truth.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It changes the normal flow of the thread and makes it difficult to follow.
Why is top posting bad?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I prefer top-posting because, when following a thread, I don't have to scroll through tons of gibberish that I have already read in order to find the gem of wisdom at the bottom. Bottom posting would work if all followup posters would do some selective cuts. For instance, this post is not about the original subject, so I have cut all but what relates to my comments (also changed the subject so readers an choose to ignore this side thread.
Can we just say that different folks process info in different ways and no posting order is right or wrong.
-G (who was messing with USNET before spam was invented - hardly a newbie)

Right
No, if we all do thing differently, it gets even more confusing.

The problem is that people don't EDIT/DELETE lines from earlier postings.

It's always useful to edit - top posting or bottom posting.
How does that help you?
Agreed!
No, top posting quickly disintegrates into gibberish. If you were the ONLY response to the thread, then it might work. But when you are just the second response, then there is a response to your response, etc., etc., it is impossible to follow.
Nosnibor wrote:

How does that help you?
Bottom posting would work if all

Agreed!
No, top posting quickly disintegrates into gibberish. If you were the ONLY response to the thread, then it might work. But when you are just the second response, then there is a response to your response, etc., etc., it is impossible to follow.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:48:54 GMT, Robert Allison

That's just retarded.
You're arguing about the order of the thread by asserting that someone would write their own material in reverse order. Why didn't you write:

Or even more ridiculous (but consistent with your lame argument):

Because it's not the same thing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Top posting would never have come into vogue if those so obsessed with bottom posting would be courteous and thoughtful enough to edit out the 300 lines of material just to post "I agree" at the bottom. Most don't. That's the class of people in which you anti-top-posters are lumped. So long as there are so many of them, you'll never make a legitimate case against top posting regardless of how much you stomp your feet.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
So that's the reason for bottom posting, comprehension problems. I thought it was Alzheimer's.