AAaarhhggg! Glue problem.

Page 1 of 2
I made a mission bed and inbetween the slats on the footboard and head board I have glue leakage. I applied my stain and I can see where the glue was in between the slats. I have spent the last few hours trying to scrape and sand in between the slats. How do you guys prevent this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Some wipe off the excess when it's still wet using a wet cloth. This works, but can thin the glue and spread it around resulting it what you're seeing.
If possible, let the squeeze out set up to the point where it's almost, but not quite dry. Then you can scrape the "chunks" off using a sharp chisel.
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"stoutman" < snipped-for-privacy@a.com> wrote in message
3M blue masking tape.
David
stoutman wrote:

Found some 2" blue masking tape at big lots for 2.99 for 2 rolls-- works just like the 3M brand but is WAY cheaper. I'm going back for more tomorrow-- bet they're out.
On 23 Jan 2005 20:50:38 -0800, the inscrutable "Phil at small (vs at

The Dollar Tree has 2" regular masking tape for a buck. If you're only using it for glueup time, regular tape works just fine. Don't leave it on for a few weeks, though.
--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.

1) use the right color of wood to start with. don't stain. 2) glaze instead of stain. put the color between coats of finish, not soaked into the wood.
What in your answer is going to help the OP? He didn't ask for your opinion about staining. Is there always "the right color of wood"? If so why have people been staining or otherwise coloring wood for centuries? If he decided to "glaze" or tone instead of staining the glue squeeze out would still be visible, would it not?
On 23 Jan 2005 23:01:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I assume you're talking to me.
as far as cleaning up his current situation, he's on the right track. scrape, sand, try to blend the stain.
most of the stains on the market are made to either fake up one wood to look like another or simulate the effects of age. what the hell is wrong with an honest piece of wood?
a little glue squeezeout- especially down in the wood rather than a glob on the surface- is a lot less visible under a glaze.

I would think that the correct track would be to try and prevent it in the first place.

Perhaps some of us don't have an endless supply of money or don't want to deal with the characteristics of some wood types.

I believe the OP was asking about a solution for glue squeeze out- not a diatribe against staining. There isn't always "the right color of wood" hence the reason people have been staining or otherwise coloring wood for centuries. And even if he decided to "glaze", tone, etc. the glue squeeze out would still be visible. Not a lot of helpful information in your post to help the OP.
Hmmm...last time I checked at the lumberyard they were all out of "Golden Oak" oak and "Revival" oak. Could you point me to a source for those particular "colors" of wood, my friend?
Imagine wooddorkers having the nerve to "soak" stain into their wood!
David
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

see option (2)

glazing looks a lot better to my eye. stain absorbs unevenly, and usually it's the light grain that absorbs more, so the color reverses. just looks cheap and fake to me.

The problem with "Glazing" is the colour is only on the service of the timber, hence any scratches or chips show the original colour. By "Soaking" staining the raw timber you achieve a penetration of the applied colour, thus meaning that chips and scratches have to be much more severe to make themselves noticeable. John
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

If you knew better techniques, you wouldn't think that staining equals uneveness, even on blotch prone woods.
David
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

I'm not talking about blotch. I'm talking about the difference of absorption between late wood and early wood. one is generally harder, darker and less porous (can't remember which is which...). the lighter, more porous grain absorbs more stain and ends up darker. the result, to my eye is unnatural and unattractive. YMMV.
"Unnatural"? :) Wood, by it's very nature is NATURAL. If you want eveness, use plastic or paint.
David
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Dave, you were doing well for a while there. I was really happy to see you drop the B.A.D. boy act.
too good to last, I guess.
I don't know WHAT your problem is, sir, but I'll just steer around you in the future.
David
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Y'know, both of those are designed to mimic the aged color of a couple of different kinds of oak. Now if he was going green....
:)
David