Sprung slats for bed base

Having looked for a new bedstead, I have found that the majority come with simple 'planks'. However, current bed has sprung slats and has proved to be quite comfortable. Is it possible to buy the slats and suitable anchoring mechanism, and if so, where?

(Changing size of bed so no, cannot graft old slats onto new bed! However, the only workable option so far seems to be to buy two beds and perform surgery.)

Alternatively, any recommended suppliers of bedsteads? (I am in High Wycombe.)

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Try this page at woodfit. the slats that go with them are a bit pricey though at a tenner a throw.

simon beer

What sort of bed is it? You can get sprung bed bases that go on top of the bed instead of slats. However, they are relatively deep, so wouldn't suit all bed styles. Mostly, they are for Victorian iron beds, which aren't usually slatted.

-> Mattresses and bases -> Bed base prices ->Standard Deluxe sprung base (10cm deep).

The bases just need to be supported on the bed's side rails.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Cor! We're sleeping on a fortune ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When you say sprung do you mean slats with actual springs under?

Reply to
adder1969

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

No just slats that are themselves springy.

Many thanks for the replies. The Woodfit items are what I was looking for - but it seems that it might be cheaper to buy a new bed! Oddly, they say that they are suited to a standard double - but are 1530 mm - which strikes me as kingsize.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

I suspect that the 4'6" bed isn't the standard double any more.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:41fffd51$0$2651$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Mary,

Having looked around at a huge number of beds and mattresses in the last few weeks - 4' 6" is most definitely still described as double. However, I do suspect that many people thin of 5' as a double though it is usually described as kingsize. However, this does rather ignore continental size beds such those from as Ikea.

Just realised that I didn't answer an earlier point. We want a wooden bedstead but by far the majority, and especially many of the ones we actually like the looks of, are plain planked. Therefore, we have been considering the possibility of getting one and adding sprung slats. Until we choose, it is impossible to know exactly how they are designed. Some look as if they would be easy to do - others near impossible.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

I was surprised to read that it wasn't - in the url supplied by someone in this thread about old bedsteads.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Eh? According to seventh heaven, which concurs with my understanding:

Single 3' x 6'3" Large single 3'6" x 6'3" Small double 4' x 6'3" Standard double 4'6" x 6.3" Kingsize 5' x 6'6" Extrawide 5'6" x 6'6" Emperor 6' x 6'6"

I would also add small single at 2'6" x 6'3". The US has a completely different system.

Most Victorian beds were today's standard double. The majority of antique kingsize beds have been widened in modern times, sometimes spoiling their proportions. I was lucky enough to find an original Victorian "kingsize". However, in those days, the standard kingsize was 5' x 6'3", but luckily some thoughtful previous owner had extended the rails by three inches, so it takes modern mattresses (and people). Extending the rails is much less of a problem than widening the head/foot pieces.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

ikea have sprung slats - springy pieces of wood between two rubber retainer bands. I couldn't find them in the catalogue but they have them in store for about a tenner each? (maybe 15). You need two side by side for a double so you need a plank down the middle of your bed if you don't have one already. Ikea have metric sizes so you may need to cut them down.

Reply to
adder1969

I apologise, I didn't read that. What I did see was:

"Providing good proportions for the compact bedroom, the 4ft 6inches wide bed, or standard double, is comfortable for two people. A handy size for the guest room or the first full size bed for the teenager or young adult."

Although it does, as I see now (!) say "standard double" I remember being surprised at the last sentence, which isn't what I'd have thought a double bed was suitable for.

Again, I apologise for not reading it properly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The first bed I bought as a young adult was MFI's cheapest kingsize. I'm sure I could have wangled a double out of my parents had I needed a new bed as a teenager, too. I wish I had, now.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Yes - well. I just found that - they are £10 each or £35 for some posher adjustable ones. In both cases a saw required to cut down from 800 to 750. Not sure if there are any other issues if I were to reduce the width of the posh one? And a Dokka midbeam at some unknown price and availability (not visible online). But most definitely cheaper than Woodfit.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Any decent timberyard (a real one that sells English hardwoods, such as Interesting Timbers, near Wells). Get some ash, in suitably thin sections. It's springy and far stronger than the usual rubbish softwoods. Cheap too.

You don't need much fixing at the ends. Two fabric tapes stapled on underneath to preserve the spacing might be enough, if the ends are in a channel that prevents them moving sideways. Otherwise I make beds with welded-on pins on the rails and a loosely drilled hole in the slat. The spring comes from the vertical forces, not from any sideways location.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Andy,

Not sure that I follow you. The type that I am looking for (and have probably found) are almost universally laminated beech. They need location beacuse they are something like 30mm wider than the bedstead and hence bow upwards significantly. I have never seen this without some form of positive location mechanism. I think that you are talking about the plain 'plank' style. But thanks anyway.

*13740

Reply to
Rod Hewitt