A gloat anyone can have!

At least those of us in Western NY...

Today I bought 50bf of viraro for $3.5/bf, 10bf of kingwood for $20/bf, and

10bf of wenge for $8/bf. All flawless, nominally 4/4 but actually thicker.
viraro is for a project; the rest was just too pretty to leave there. They also had some cheap cocobolo, but you can only buy so much.
Reply to
Toller

For lumber like that, I could arrange to drive there a couple times a year. I compared pen blank prices with those of my usual vendor and it occurs to me that perhaps he gets his blanks from them because they were lower than him on all but one of the species I compared.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I was surprised at how low their finisihing costs are: .15 for jointing per lf and .35 per bf for planing.

I'd never pay off that new Planer at those rates. Not to start a new Planer thread. :-)

Reply to
Bill Stock

Houston Hardwoods will joint and plane 2 sides and 1 edge for a nominal fee per board ft. I always get it done even though I have a 6" jointer and a 12

1/2" planer. It saves me a lot of work. They've never charged me for set up like another yard in town does.
Reply to
Lowell Holmes

The wood I got was so flat that it almost doesn't need to be planed. I will get my 4/4 to finish up at 15/16 without any problem. Some African Mahogany I bought there last winter ($4.50/bf if I remember correctly) ended up at 17/16 because it was oversized and nearly flat to start with. Edges are darn good also.

Reply to
Toller

Speaking of planing, I was just thinking... Is it possible that S2S wood is CHEAPER than rough? Hear me out: Say you want some nice clear cherry at $6/bf, from a place that charges $.50/bf for surfacing (couple trips through the planer then belt sanded). Say you get an 8 ft x 6" wide 4/4 board (4 bf) of this cherry in the rough, you pay $24. Alternatively, you could get it planed down to 3/4" (actual size), and if your lumber dealer measures exactly and calculated prices precisely after planing, you'd only have 3 bf of lumber, which would cost $18 + $2 for surfacing = $20. S2S is cheaper! Am I missing something, or is my lumber dealer odd in measuring boards post-surfacing? Just wondering, Andy

Reply to
Andy