Patents SawStop & Dr. Gass

Well it turns out that Dr. Stephen Gass in the inventor on 15 patents. Most of which deal with stopping blades to prevent injury. What may be interesting to some is a sentence in Patent number 6920814 Cutting tool safety system "The present invention is applicable to power equipment, and specifically to woodworking equipment such as table saws, miter saws, band saws, circular saws, jointers, etc. " As an aside, look at the list of referenced patents on any of his patents. Its got to be all the powered saw patents ever issued. Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

I can't think of a single reason I'd want to do that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Interesting! And, it could be that he has thoughts on how to build a stop for the other machines, or, thats just his attorney doing what attorneys do and writing broad claims. It would be interesting to see the independent claims.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Finding the keyboard operational Edwin Pawlowski entered:

If you want to experiance an extreme mind numbing hour killing session? Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

He has more than thoughts, he has prototypes.

Leuf

destructive to the equipment as the T/S device?

Reply to
Joe Bemier

I would imagine it uses the same principle of firing a pin into the teeth. Either you're using a fairly inexpensive steel blade, in which case throw it away, or a carbide tooth in which case I'd imagine you could cut out the damaged section and reweld it, assuming only one or two teeth are affected. You could maybe do something with more of a clamping mechanism in the straight area where the blade is travelling up from the bottom wheel to the top wheel, but it doesn't look there's anything special there in that photo.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

IIRC he is a patent attorney himself.