Need *Tall* Plants, Western NY

Hi all,

I could use some plant recommendations for a strip of soil I have that runs along my neighbour's ugly fence.

I'd like some tall plants that return every year that will cover up the fence or hide part of the fence.

Preferably, these would be fast growing and relatively easy to acquire.

I currently have clematis growing up a portion of it which is ok....and tons of daylillies, but these are low growing.

I was thinking bamboo? *grin* I am in Zone 5, maybe 6?

Any other thoughts?

Sally

Reply to
Sally

Seems we have a similar problem only I have the fence! LOL. Just a little wire green garden fence I put in for boundary of our lots. Not nice neighbors (they have had a mattress and other misc. items piled up for several mths in their back yard) and they are on a downward slope from my garden. Not a pretty site.

I have planted Leyland Cypress but they are still babies so I am trying to come up with other ideas until they can cover it up. I have also planted Ivy for soil erosion and trying to get it to climb. Also I just received my hyacinth bean vine seeds but they are annuals. What about Trumpet Vines?

What kind of fence are you talking about? Wood or wire? How tall?

Elaine

Reply to
<elaine_h

Reply to
<elaine_h

Holly hocks will do great. Morning glories and sunflowers might be OK, but will probably have to be reseeded each spring. Bamboo was too invasive for me. You might try blackberries or raspberries, but they too are invasive (on both sides of the fence).

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Japanese Holly?

Bill who loves black bamboo.

Reply to
William Wagner

I have bamboo, akebia, and hardy kiwis in Zone 5.5. Bamboo grows too slowly in our zone, even though I have the cold-hardiest (phyllostachys nuda). It will still range many feet, so it will cross your driveway and head for the hills. Akebia and kiwis will both cover your fence quickly, if you are willing to build a basic trellis to support them, as they both grow 20ft/year. None of them disappears in the winter, of course. Bamboo stays green in a mild year but diesback most years. You still have to mow it down if you want it to disappear.

Reply to
simy1

Inexpensive holly shrubs from Home Depot or Lowe's would be my choice. Do not crowd them. They stay green year round and grow quickly if you water and fertilize them. They do fine in part shade. They have attractive red berries after a few years if you get male and female plants. They're perfect for hiding ugly fences or views.

Reply to
Mindful

Old, ugly pressure treated wood fence that's grey and nasty now.

Reply to
Sally

I've heard that about bamboo...but I am waaay up north, and wondered if that still applies up here. I have a friend who planted some bamboo and it didn't seem to take over the world (yet).

Reply to
Sally

Until you figure out what you want to do, why not plant a row of tall sunflowers? Plant morning glories at their base so that they grow up the stalks and you'll end up with a nice temporary screen for this summer.

--Jenny

Diabetes Info

Get Your Blood Sugar Under Control

Reply to