A check before I buy this router

I've DAGS but haven't settled my mind. I'm about to buy a Porter-Cable 7529R reconditioned 2HP VS Plunge Router for $159.95 and want to know if anyone has any comments for or against the deal.
It seems to me I've heard a comment about the bit not being concentric with the base, but I can't find it. I also saw a lot in the way of recommendations for DeWalt routers, but I can't find anything close enough to this price.
Thanks for the help. I know, another router recommendation question.
Lionel
"Lionel" writes:

If it were my money, I'd pass for the following reasons:
1) Too big to make a decent hand held like the 690 series.
2) Too small to mount in a table and swing large bits with any real gusto.
HTH
--
Lew

Lionel,
The 7529 router was replaced by the 8529 which Home Depot was clearing out last week for $100. One review states that:
"Porter-Cable took a second look at their popular 7529, 2-horsepower plunge router, and thus came the 8529. The name's not the only thing that's changed though. An above-the-table adjustment system works with a hex-shaped dial that reaches through your router table top and allows for adjustments as precise as 1/128 of an inch. A badly designed power switch has been replaced with a smart toggle switch, positioned just where it ought to be. We like the unique depth-stop mechanism, accessible without even taking your hands off the handles. For all its power, it's relatively quiet in a world of ear-piercing routers, another reason it's popular with home woodworkers."
So, with the 8529 available for $100 (I bought one) and being better in a couple of ways than the 7529 I think you might want to keep looking.
-Jack

with
I agree. Check around the home depot deal.
Aaron

enough
Lowes in Austell GA had the 8529 for $159. It was a clearance marked down from $199. I don't know why they are clearing the new model but I was sore tempted to buy one.
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me
I just bought one a garage sale for $40. I really bought it because it had Porter Cable's, top o' the line, edge guide attached to it, which is worth, retail, about what I paid for the combination.
.... look like I'm gaining on that goal to have a router for every bit. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03