A check before I buy this router

I've DAGS but haven't settled my mind. I'm about to buy a Porter-Cable

7529R reconditioned 2HP VS Plunge Router for $159.95 and want to know if anyone has any comments for or against the deal.

It seems to me I've heard a comment about the bit not being concentric with the base, but I can't find it. I also saw a lot in the way of recommendations for DeWalt routers, but I can't find anything close enough to this price.

Thanks for the help. I know, another router recommendation question.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

If it were my money, I'd pass for the following reasons:

1) Too big to make a decent hand held like the 690 series. 2) Too small to mount in a table and swing large bits with any real gusto.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lionel,

The 7529 router was replaced by the 8529 which Home Depot was clearing out last week for $100. One review states that:

"Porter-Cable took a second look at their popular 7529, 2-horsepower plunge router, and thus came the 8529. The name's not the only thing that's changed though. An above-the-table adjustment system works with a hex-shaped dial that reaches through your router table top and allows for adjustments as precise as 1/128 of an inch. A badly designed power switch has been replaced with a smart toggle switch, positioned just where it ought to be. We like the unique depth-stop mechanism, accessible without even taking your hands off the handles. For all its power, it's relatively quiet in a world of ear-piercing routers, another reason it's popular with home woodworkers."

So, with the 8529 available for $100 (I bought one) and being better in a couple of ways than the 7529 I think you might want to keep looking.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I agree. Check around the home depot deal.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Heck

Lowes in Austell GA had the 8529 for $159. It was a clearance marked down from $199. I don't know why they are clearing the new model but I was sore tempted to buy one.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

I just bought one a garage sale for $40. I really bought it because it had Porter Cable's, top o' the line, edge guide attached to it, which is worth, retail, about what I paid for the combination.

.... look like I'm gaining on that goal to have a router for every bit. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman