3/4" Maple plywood for $30

Just got back from HD (Pittsburgh Area) where I picked up a sheet of 3/4" Maple plywood for $30. Both sides were sanded nicely and look great, clean edges also.
I believe it has Birch in the center.
They've had 3/4 Red Oak & Birch for a while ($40), but, this is the first time I saw the maple there.
Ron
Ron wrote:

Would this be birch one side maple the other?
I went to Streetsboro (Ohio) HD and got two sheets Thursday.
Be very careful, the surfaces are paper thin.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

You are correct. Both outside layers are paper thin. Further, I believe it is a mixture of Birch with Maple. Nicely sanded and look great with slight imperfections on one side.
I bought a few sheets and now having trouble keeping the layers (Formica+3/4"+3/4"+Formica) flat.
Why would you use Maple plywood if you are covering it with Formica?
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"WD" < snipped-for-privacy@wherevernet.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:07:22 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

I'm making a TS and Router extension table for my Crapsman.
Well, that's why you're using plywood, but it still doesn't answer why you're using the more expensive Maple-covered plywood. I was just curious in case I missed something. BTW, MDF might solve your flatness problem.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"WD" < snipped-for-privacy@wherevernet.com> wrote in message
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

Really, the wood isn't that bad. I think the problem may be he wants it *perfectly* flat.
Question: Could laminate cause a sheet of plywood to twist?

Mark

N.E. Ohio
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:02:56 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"
MDF will chips or worn where the router plate's adjustment screws sit.
I have used two 4'X8' plywoods. The first two set (3/4"X27"X41") bow in the center and cut another two set and STILL bows! So, I ended up using the first two (bow) set. Sanded it down (That when I discovered, the outer layers are paper thin). I still did not get 100% flatness, but I guess it will do for now until I cut the hole to fit the router's plate in a few more days (WIP).
In the end I spend more and have more headaches!

says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

My sheet appears to have 5 layers. The outer two are about 1/8" thick each, with the middle three a bit thicker.