200 Yr. Old Oak Tree

Page 1 of 2

Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into boards.
I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and turn them into firewood.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/92D05CB4C39BDF8C8625703E00149753?OpenDocument

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/92D05CB4C39BDF8C8625703E00149753?OpenDocument
Sounds to me as the SOB is using it as blackmail, holding the tree hostage for taxpayer welfare. I'm willing to fire up the chainsaw.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Me, too. He wants government funds to help out his church. Faith based woodcutting.
Bur oak is a great wood, by the way, looks a lot like QS white oak,makes great veneer I'm told, and it would really be a shame to see a tree that size fed to the shredders. But it would be a much bigger shame to see this guy succeed in blackmailing the town.
Charlie Self wrote:

I think I see a use for that obscene court ruling on eminent domain. He must have learned his ethics from Sharpton.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

into
and
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/92D05CB4C3 9BDF8C8625703E00149753?OpenDocument
hostage

If what you say is correct, then at the very least he could have stated his case a little clearer. If there's any confusion about his intent, then it looks like it was his own fault.
Upscale wrote:

One should never underestimate the ability of the reporter to confuse an issue,, either... :(
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:15:32 -0500, the opaque Duane Bozarth

After reading her "balanced and neutral reporting", the odds appear fairly high that Georgina Gustin is a tree-hugging liberal.
The fact that the living tree might be worth a lot of money in timber never got covered by the newspaper. I wonder why. (No I don't.) <sigh>
- - Let Exxon send their own troops - ------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nonsense Larry. Not many sawmills are going to want to cut a tree that stands next to a parking lot of any kind. Too, there's no knowing what's inside that "200 year old" tree without a look at it, at least. It could be about half rotted or it could be perfect.
It's also quite possible the reporter, like many people, does not look at a tree as a valuable resource, or, really, has any idea it could be.
But you know the answer: the reporter was out to get the preacher.
Not everyone is a wood expert, or interested in becoming one. For that matter, why didn't the pastor check into the possible value of the tree? If he did, he didn't bother to mention it. Should we extrapolate and say he was going for a double payment because it wasn't mentioned?
The guy comes across as a horse's ass based on his words and actions, and you guys blame the reporter.
Jesus wept.

Also, consider that at the end of his first deadline, he had received only 10 cents with a note stating God is watching. Apparently no one in the church congregation is even motivated to donate to the cause. There are enough slash'n'burn folks out there that he should have gotten at least something more than 10 cents - unless his horse's assness is well known and his ultimatum is felt by the locals in the same tone as the news report comes across.
Here's another article on the story: <http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/A6BE5B 6D9064426A86257020001DA78D?OpenDocument>

Seems the pastor really just wants one thing and isn't willing to give alternative solutions a try - the city is willing to lease the strip of city land at $1 for 100 years. The church has been at this location 1 & 1/2 years and this guy's got his panties in a bunch about an issue 101 years down the road.
That he didn't have the tree cut after the first deadline also sounds as though he's got dollar signs in his eyes - according to another news item on the story there's a feeling that the donations might not ultimately go to saving the tree. It could end up that if $75,000 isn't reached the money could be used to pay for the tree's removal.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

True, but we haven't seen any of those estimates.

Yeah, they probably see it as either a temple or a stack of firewood. Sad, ain't it?

Hey, I'm usually the one railing -against- religion. But my read of that story was that the guy was trying to find ways to save the tree since the townfolk had put up such an uproar.

Ever stop to think it might have been the reporter's calculated wording which made it sound like the preacher was an ass? Reread that story and show me her balance. ANY balance or openmindedness. It didn't give her question, only his answer. Much is hidden in that story, I'm sure, and it felt awfully one-sided.

??
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!

Lary, I've worked in newspapers for more than 25 years and your suggestion that a reporter would write a story, or that an editor would let one go to print, that was anything less than totally objecti...
Nope. Can't finish that sentence. Not with a straight face.
"Run that baby!" </bloomcounty>
djb
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:46:23 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

Do newspapers still HAVE editors? I catch so many simple grammatical errors in our local paper that I've given up hope. Hell, they don't even run spel chuckers there, let alone check grammar. <sigh>

Good cartoon!
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!

Hell, at our paper almost everyone in the "stringing words together" department has "editor" in their job title.
What most newspapers lack are "proofreaders" and "fact checkers".
;-)

And "headline writers" who read the article first....
Larry Jaques wrote:

But common. Probably 97% of the people you meet are that way.

You obviously don't know much about small town papers and those how write for them. Ours is fairly conservative, but tries for balance, but the editor and writer (one of each, plus a sports writer who does about 78% of the paper) are unable to communicate particularly well in print. Mostly, what gets printed is what they manage to get up on screen without losing large chunks during a save.
I note that someone down the line said the paper has the reputation of being liberal in a conservative area. I've also noted that EVERY newspaper in this very, very conservative area where I live is classed as liberal. It seems that if you ever disagree with Bush, Cheney and Rove you're a liberal. That's life.
None of us know anything more about the story than what was present on the story. Speculation on motives is just so much bullshit in such cases.
On 15 Jul 2005 02:01:30 -0700, the opaque "Charlie Self"

Shouldn't reporters be in that 3%, or is objective fact-finding no longer a requirement for employment in that field? </rhetorical Q>

I should. I live in a town of 23,000 in rural OR.

-See my post to Dave Balderstone regarding editors.-

Sorry for using the "L" word in front of you. I've disagreed with nearly everything the current president has said and done, but someone would have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to think of me as a liberal or a potential Democrat, though some really conservative types do. <g> I'm sick to see what our political system has become and can't, in good conscience, ever vote for another Rep -or- Dem.
Our local paper consists of a mix of radically conservative and radically liberal writers, with maybe one moderate thrown in for good measure. (I would have said balance, but I know better.)

Granted. But I tried to read that article with an open mind, and what I read sounded more like a subjective tirade than an objective report.
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
wrote in message

You have to admit that there is the possibility that the person writing and/or editing the story induced a little spin...

Yeah. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. There isn't too much in the media these days that can be taken at face value. Seems like everybody is out for themselves these days. Everybody except the few like the person who handed me the $20 bill I didn't know I'd dropped at the grocery checkout a few days ago.

And there are good, honest, helpful folks in churches around the world, whatever your personal experience with some folks and/or churches may have been.
Unfortunately, like 200 year old oak trees, you're never quite sure what's really inside. People or churches or news stories.
Patriarch, hopeful as always...