Oak Tree Removal

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate. In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Freckles

yes, we cut down three black walnut trees that were approx. 40 ft tall. (new addition to house)

we have a professional cut them down, saying long lengths for the lumber that are being dried right now (for new dining room table) and the short lengths (1-3 ft) for hubby to "turn" on his lathe.

i think the charge was approx. $800.

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Don't know but there are factors to consider like accessibility of tree, if stump is to be ground and deposition of wood, since oak is desirable as firewood or logs. Most important is not to give the tree cutter a penny until job is complete.

Reply to
Frank

I recently had two pin oaks cut down here in SC. The bigger of the two required a permit to have removed. The estimates I got ranged from $1200-$3000. The low figure didn't include haul away or stump grinding. The higher figure included haul away but no stump grinding. We kept the wood, rented a logsplitter, and made about 3 seasons' worth of firewood.

Make sure the company or individual you hire has a general liability policy in place.

Reply to
scfundogs

Since I'm a woodworker I'd take the tree free of charge, but removing the stump is another story. With this kind of job you'll get a variety of prices (free to $1000). Best to ask to see proof of insurance and bonded workers--ask your home insurance agent.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you find someone willing to cut down a 40' tree for free, post his name on here, will you?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I had something like this done in Philadelphia, PA last summer with a maple tree in front of my house. The other issue you havent thought about is what you will do when the tree is down, removed and the stump ground out. Then what? That's where I am still stumped. I made a mistake. I was left with a wide (2 or 3 yards wide) hole several feet deep. Soooo...I filled part of it with the wood chips from the tree and the rest with compost and then planted fescue. The ground is now very spongy there and has sunk and Im sure will sink more. The grass is not very healthy and is spotty. I dont know what to do now. I was thinking of heaping bags of Scotts soil for lawns on it in the fall and reseeding and crossing my fingers that it will work. So you need to find out what to do with the large hole you will wind up with. Good Luck.

Freckles wrote:

Reply to
cardarch

Reply to
Phisherman

That is one of the questions I will be asking the people I call for estimates. If they don't do the work I want done, at a reasonable price, then I'll find someone that will. That's why one gets written estimates.

Reply to
Freckles

Uh........ pick up chain saw. Cut down tree. Cost, $000.00

Farmer John

Reply to
fudge

Idiot drops tree on neighbor's house, gets sued, can't pay , gets in fight with neighbor, paralyzes neighbor, gets sent to pound-me-in-the-ass prison = PRICELESS!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:Kdvzg.54$%j7.6 @newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

REALLY.

Nevermind the other scenerio where idiot tries sawing through the trunk of a 40' tree and the chainsaw goes insane and cuts a major neck and/or leg artery and idiot bleeds out before anyone can even dial 9-1...

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Right!!!! You live in America, the most lawyerized society on earth. I suspect the major cost for a tree surgeon would be liability insurance. Perhaps a lawyer should actually be present when the tree is removed. No doubt many local, state and federal agency permits and licences would be required.

F.J.

Reply to
fudge

yep - that's the land of the free for ya!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

No, the tree is on my property and I can have it cut down any time I wish, by anyone I wish. No permits, licenses or any legal paper work at all is required.

The folks at the court house did recommended I make certain the company that does the work has up-to-date liability insurance.

Which makes a lot of sense to me regardless of where one lives.

Reply to
Freckles

I had a neighbor that was killed by tree falling on him while cutting it up. Also had a manager that nearly bled to death when he cut an artery in his leg. And, then there was the treecutter that fell and injured his shoulder so bad he became a heroin addict after becoming addicted to opiate pain killers. I have a chainsaw for minor work myself but keep safety paramount.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

"Frank" wrote in news:1154450747.098722.229740 @m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

I used to keep a chainsaw around but I heard about too many accidents from kickback to feel comfortable about using it casually. (Although you can buy safety gear such as "chaps" made to prevent kickback injuries to the thighs/legs.) Now it's just easier to get some other poor schmuc... er... businessman... to do it. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Reply to
cathych