Subject Author Posted Replies

New project
Our bed is high and my wife is short, so she wanted me to make her a step stool with a hand-hold. I made it out of #1 pine with a glued up panel top. Stained it with golden oak then light walnut to...
8
8

your project
post info on your last project not many of you post your projects so this is your chance i made a minimalist bookshelf a sort of mission style but more minimal all from previously used lumber also...
20
20

New job
About a year ago I designed a wide screen/ entertainment/faux fireplace/ mantle. This was for a repeat customer that was having her home remodeled and enlarged. Any way the remodeling is done and I...
51
51

OT: Looking for Winter Coat
Here's the problem: My favorite winter coat is completely worn out, and despite looking for coats for the last 3-4 years I can't find one I like. So I'm hoping maybe I could find a lead by posting...
18
18

White wood rot treatment???
OK, with the other thread on the barn, turns out I was back at finishing shoring up some places where we had to sister the bottom of some studs. One place happens to be the north end double at the...
3
3

custom hand planes
Todays newspaper had an article about a local craftsman - John T. --- news:// - complaints: --- Every morning, Konrad Sauer climbs the stairs to his second-floor workshop where he makes customized...
8
8

RE: O/T: Allen Toussaint
He's gone. Died after a concert in Madrid on way to hospital. Lew

An expensive way to dry wood
A five truck fire at a park and ride lot... http://media.dailyfreeman.com/2015/11/09/photos-from-5-truck-fire/#51

Estate sale - lumber by the pound?
Saw this on a Craigslist ad: WALNUT LUMBER (Approx. 35,000 bd ft) Lumber Air Dried & in Storage for 50 years Saw Mill Cut Into 2" & 3" Slabs also 1" & 2" 1 x 6 -- 2' Planed weigh's 8 lb NOTE: Lumber...
15
15

My recent years' "woodworking"...
I've commented here several times in the past most of what I've gotten done since coming back to family farm hasn't been "fine" woodworking...here are a few pictures from the barn reroof/refurb,...
41
41

Micro Turning?
For those interested in woodturning but on a tight budget? Discover - Lee Valley Tools
7
7

pre-made wood products at the hardware store
i always enjoy looking at prices at the store for smaller wood parts like corbels and shelf brackets and table legs i am always surprised at the prices because they are lower than i would expect the...
6
6

Stanley plane question
Since I already have a #4 for my smoothing work, do I really need a #5? There's a good deal on one. Thanks, Mike
12
12

calling all caul users
just recently discovered cauls and would like to hear how people like them they make sense to me and now i will go looking for construction methods to make my own the curve is the key and it looks...
44
44

Belt Sander Recommendations
I've put off getting a benchtop belt sander for some time but really cannot rely on my ancient hand belt sander or 1" dremel sander anymore. I'm leaning towards belt/disc for versitality but may go...
22
22