New project

Our bed is high and my wife is short, so she wanted me to make her a step stool with a hand-hold. I made it out of #1 pine with a glued up panel top. Stained it with golden oak then light walnut to match the bedroom furniture. Finished with two coats gloss polyurinestain, light sanding then satin poly. Applied clear non-slip strips to the top. Picture on ABPW before finishing. It works as designed, but is not fine furniture.

Reply to
G. Ross

Neat design. I have the same situation, bed size/wife size. :-). She manages but has warned me that one day she may need a step stool. Can you share he dimensions? I would assume that the hand-hold doubles as a way to move the step without bending over all they way down to pick it up.

Reply to
Leon

She had been using a plastic stool 9" high, but it was unstable. I made this one the same height, 12" wide and 26 inches long. We checked the hand-hold height and she liked 28 inches from the floor so that is what I made. I made it out of stock 1 x 3's interlacing them at the top corners and one vertical stopped at the step top and two to the floor. All edges 1/4 round overs.

One difficulty. My router table had a 1/4 bit and collet and I changed to a 1/2 collet and bit (on a DeWalt router). The collet did not catch in the nut so when I loosened the nut the collet was stuck. Any ideas how to get the bit and collet out? I tried taking washers with a 1/2 hole, cutting them with a bolt cutter to make a "C" shape and sliding them between the nut and base of the bit and loosening the nut against them, but no joy, even after spraying with "break-loose". The nut travel is not enough to break the bit loose.

Reply to
G. Ross

How about a hardwood "wrench" mortised to hold the head of the router bit securely and then a sharp rap with a mallet while the router lock is in place?

Take the washer idea one step further and fashioning something thicker to reduce the amount of travel needed by the nut to break it free?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If you can't get the bit out you are basically stuck. I would tap the bit shank with a metal wrench.

Reply to
Leon

Tried both. Made several washers and stacked them until no more would go.

Reply to
G. Ross

I am basically stuck. Thought about a slide hammer but haven't come up with a way to attach one to the bit. I have another router but hate to give up on this.

Reply to
G. Ross

Reading your follow-up posts...

Seems like you're ready to throw in the towel so go for broke. Write off the router bit right now. Put the whole shebang, as is, in the freezer and wait until tomorrow at which time try locking the router and whacking a wrench that's holding the bit.

No luck? Get out the Bernzomatic torch, apply it to the bit and try, try again.

You mentioned lube earlier. There was a thread here not long ago about, Aero Kroil, a super penetrating lube used to break free just about anything. To read the reviews, I suppose one could drive a tractor through a 5" diameter pipe using this stuff

Maybe it's worth a shot. You have another router to use in the meantime so...

Unquestionably Confused

Try loosening the nut slightly, then tap it with a wrench. You don't have to tap hard but you wll probably have to tap a lot.

Reply to
dadiOH