pre-made wood products at the hardware store

i always enjoy looking at prices at the store for smaller wood parts like corbels and shelf brackets and table legs

i am always surprised at the prices because they are lower than i would expect

the profit margins musst be pretty slim

i might be able to match their prices and make a profit if i used only found wood but then getting them into stores is yet another hurdle i have concluded that the competition on that market space is too tough

Reply to
Electric Comet

Ever see how that stuff is made? First, they buy the raw material for about 25% of your price, maybe less. Next is to set up automated tooling to run hundreds, maybe thousands of parts with that setup.

Getting them into stores is another hurdle, especially the big chain stores You may also have to wait a long time to get paid. Your selling price will be less than half the listed retail price too. When I was associated with the hobby industry many years ago, if it cost you $1 in labor and material the list selling price would be $4 minimum. Work it backwards to see where you have to be.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Otherwise, find a "specialized item" for a specific (preferrably local) nic he, so that you're less likely to compete with the big box or local outlets .

Somewhat of an example: I am sometimes asked to build ottoman frames - si mple 2X square legs, casters, 1X2 stretchers and skirting, 3/4" ply top. I usually end up upholstering it, also. All toll, less than 8 hours hobby work. The bare minimum (otherwise unsightly) frame is not seen, when an u pholstered (pleated) skirting conceals it.

I've made so many of these, I have round, oval and rectangle templates for the (generally) standard size tops, so that I don't have to figure out the

*dimensions/layout, each time. The leg configuration/orientation is the s ame for each top design.
  • The top's templates contain markings for centers (along sides, where appl icable), where the legs/stretchers are to be placed and where any buttons ( upholstered tufts) are to be placed (if applicable). All these template m arkings are easily transferable to the build/product.... saves lots of time , not having to calculate these measures/placements for each ottoman.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

have not seen it in person but i know all about economy of scale

i have done the very basic analysis and concluded that for me there is no way

but the interesting part is that even for them it is a very very slim margin

they are also shrink wrapped in plastic so the margins get slimmer and all the packages i looked at except the table legs were gathering dust

Reply to
Electric Comet

yes that is key and the other thing is that people are very tired of buying stuff that is thrown together junk from asia or the like and are seeking things that last

great idea and useful

so no webbing just the 3/4" ply

Reply to
Electric Comet

No webbing. Flat board/ply, topped with 4" foam & batting, then upholster.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

have not tried to upholster anything other than replacing the foam in an old chair that had cushions from the 60's that the foam had no life left in

gave the chair a whole new purpose

now it is actually sitable i was surprised at how much the foam pieces cost though

it was not cheap but it will out last me

Reply to
Electric Comet