14" bandsaw

Page 2 of 4
Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and

Grant,
I agree with Ed. As I said in an earlier post, look around for sale prices. I have the Jet 14" closed base and it's done everything I ever asked of it. If only my would ;-} (just kidding dear).
Jo
Ed, Sorry about the email. I always hit the wrong button on my newsreader.
I believe that the absolute best values are on ebay. There are two American made Powermatic 14" saws currently on ebay, both are relatively cheap, and vastly better than any import you can buy.
Rick
JLJ21710 wrote:

Perhaps, if you live near the seller.
I looked at one of them and it is located in Utah, they will charge $75 to strap it to a pallet, then you pay truck shipping on top of that. Aside from the cost of the saw, I can see a few hundred $ to get it any distance. Grizzly and Wilke Machine, etc, have good deals with truckers. Most small dealers do not and moving a single pallet a thousand or more miles gets rather pricey. You can buy a new Jet for the price of shipping and crating alone.
Think before you bid. Ed
Ok there is one Jet that is within pickup distance (1hr each way).
what do you think it is worth?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryW124&item810483547&rd=1
Looks like I'd need to buy addtional things like a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

A new one is $450 on sale. They have been painted a cream color for the past few years so this is at least four or more years old. Looks like very good condition though; I'd pay up to $250 to $300 for it.
An hour ride is not bad. I mentioned shipping before and they offered a cost estimator. This one is some distance from me and the shipping cost is estimated at $200 plus crating. If you can't pick it up, eBay can be an expensive way to buy. Ed
Edwin, Yes, I'm not going to ship. I'll see what happens with that auction. The seller auctions seem to gather alot of bids and higher prices for some reason, I don't know.
Ever heard of a Precision Packard? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item810260662 Look a bit tattered but if it was to be had cheap would it be worth fixing up?
Grant:

It's a Chiwanese clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone of a Chiwanese clone of the Delta 14" band saw. In other words, this one was still around when all the others had been picked over and passed over by Jet and Grizzly.

This about that. Believe me when I tell you that finding and fixing up a good used machine can be a very satisfying experience. Some even find out they like fixing up old machines to be more fun than wooddorking. No really, it's true and I will recommend this off shoot of the hobby to anyone for just about any machine except for a Chiwanese clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone of a Chiwanese clone of the Delta 14" band saw.
Then on the other hand, for $15 you won't feel quite so bad when you finally find and bring home a good band saw and you can give this one the heel of your boot out the back end of your pick up truck (with the Dale Earnhardt press on decal in the back window).
UA100
Thanks for the insight.

I can see this being true. I know some cyclists and musicians that spend much more time restoring old stuff than they do using it. They get a ton of satisfaction out of getting something from the scrap heap into nearly new condition, with original parts.
Barry

Looks like it is a tool in very good condition, thus the higher price. The dealer may have a good reputation for selling quality items. You also have people bidding close to or evenover retail. I don't know if they get caught in the last minute frenzy or if they are just too stupid to do any homework.

If you like to tinker with machines, it may be a steal. You can buy tires, the wheels may have to be balanced and aligned, bearing replaced, pulleys replaced, guides, etc. Or you can put 50 hours and a couple hundred bucks and still not be able to cut and follow a line. I don't know of this brand and I've never rebuilt a bandsaw.
Yeah I'm gunna pass on that one. I did a google search on that name and found nothing.
How about this Delta in Las Vegas: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryW124&item810612028&rd=1 No mention of the condition or how much use, or damage. I know my wife would like a trip to Vegas.

If you do good in LV, you can buy any saw you want!
This looks like the higher priced Delta. If it is, the retail was in the $750 to $800 range. It would be a good buy near the starting price. In good shape, it could easily bring $600. Ed
Or this one in SoCal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category%278&item810423704
I think the flame job adds a nice touch to it.
By the way, this is not a 14" saw.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryX256&item810281583
UA100
I'm in So Cal so San Jose is too far. Need so be not more than a few hours each way. Driving to San Jose would cost me near $50 each way and take 14hrsRT. Thanks though. I'm half way between LA and SD.
Hi Grant,
Don't give up trying to find a good used BS like Delta. You need to have some patience and luck, but one will turn up. When it does have cash on hand and if it looks good to you don't wait...someone will be waiting to snatch it up. I found my used Delta BS in the online version of the LA Times classifieds. I called the guy up ASAP and told him I'd show up with his money the next morning. I got a year old 14" Delta with open stand, 1hp motor, miter gauge, fence, and mobile base for $250.
Check Ebay, Penny Saver, online and local machinery dealers, Woodworker West Magazine, newspaper, friends, family, etc. and one will turn up. For $400 you can buy a really nice 16" BS. FWIW, I bought my Dayton 10" drill press from a machinery dealer in Fullerton that had it on Ebay. There's a SoCal machinery dealer that always post nice stuff on Ebay (can't remember the Co.'s name though).
Good luck and happy BS hunting,
Layne

No I won't give up. I'm looking. Lost out on a 14" Ridgid the other day on eBay by $2 at $217 like new, used only a couple of hours. I'd love to have a higher end used Delta for a good price.
I'll check the LA Times and Penny Saver.
Thanks! Grant
You can't go wrong with the griz GO555.It's the best selling 14" on the market.Very well built.$375.00 plus $55.00 shipping.

Big John, Thanks for the reply, it look nice in the pictures I see online. I was not even considering it till you guys mentioned it here. Do you have any comparison on the Grizzly GO555 to the $399 Delta 28-276? -Grant

I did a little comparison a couple of weeks ago. IMO, the Delta has some better features.
Buying used can be very good, but it depends on where you live. I've been reading the local want ads for woodworking tools for three years. Rarely do I see anything of interest. Could just be the area that I live in as other seem to find some good deals. Ed