14" bandsaw

Ed, The Delta 28-276 that is at Lowes has the motor mounted behind. I wish it was under and did have a smaller footprint. /Grant

Reply to
Grant

Hmm, the picture sure looks like it is below. I trust you looking at the setup more than the picture though. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bridger:

"out 'n back" going to go and pick it up.

so far it's still priced below what I paid for mine.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Go to the Lowes site and search for Delta Bandsaw and it show it behind.

Reply to
Grant

I LOVE my Grizzly G0555. I have never used the Delta but a quick glance at the one in Lowes assures me that for less money (shipping was $55 but between sales tax and the lower $375 price) I got MORE saw. I purchased the riser kit at the same time. I have resawed 9.5" hard maple, oak, walnut and more with very little trouble. I use Olsen AllPro and MVP blades.

My only complaints are that the tension spring is too weak to tension a

3/4" blade. What I've learned is that I don't need a 3/4" blade to resaw successfully. I still intend on buying a heavier spring in the future. FWIW, the Delta won't tension the 3/4" blade either.

The other complaint is that it is pretty hard to get to the bottom guides with the allen wrench. I change blades a lot and I can swap a blade and readjust everything in about 5 mins so it isn't a big deal but that is the part that takes the longest.

The fence is nice but you will want to build a taller attachment for support if you do resawing thicker than about 6". The dust collection works great. It is quiet and smooth. The quick release tensioner is great, if you remember to use it.

As that link shows you, assembly is not bad at all, the saw is assembled completley, just put the base together and mount it. The one flaw they point out about the guide arm not centering has been fixed on my saw. They now use a bearing and spring. Believe me because I was on my hands and knees looking for it one night :-)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Go to the Delta Machinery or

site and it will sow the motor on the bottom. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Steven, Sorry, It is true. I don't own stock in any tool company and frankly could care less what tools you like or don't. The OP asked for our opinion, I gave him mine.

Did you not read this part?

Dave

TeamCasa

Yes, and this is what leads me to beleive that there are different styles of the same model number. the newer one has the motor underneath.

Reply to
Grant

Yeah If I buy used I want one in So. Cal.. That one looks nice though. Thanks, Grant

Reply to
Grant

"TeamCasa" wrote > could care less what tools you like or don't. The OP asked for our opinion,

I'll take them all. Thanks!

Reply to
Grant

They aren't bad saws despite the guides, table fixings and lack-o-riser block. Here's another one but it looks like they're moving farther away from you.

the price looks very good, for now.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I went back and read all the words and I didn't see anything about EVERY portion of the saw failing. I read something about Dave having to finish the manufacturing process and then all the magic smoke escaped from the motor.

Did a message skip over my server?

This is true. Oh by the way, I wasn't in Dallas so Kennedy must be alive.

This certainly reads as a compromise.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yep. And you DID mention that it was at least five years ago, probably more than that if your brother-in-law is now happily using the unisaw.

When I researched before buying my Griz 1022, I found a lot of posts like yours from that period. Over the following years, those posts decreased and the "I'm happy with it" posts increased. I interpreted that shift to mean Grizzly had managed to get their QC a little more under control.

I drop in from time to time. Bought my dc there, after a lot of research. Some clamps, other supplies. I think I'll get my next grinder there. A bench drill press. No other power tools. I don't consider myself the kind of person who will sacrifice quality for price, but I'll sacrifice bells and whistles for stuff I can afford. If I could afford a Unisaw, I'd have one. They ARE better, I'll admit that to anybody, and I'm puzzled by the fact that somebody who could afford a unisaw right off the bat even bothered with the economy stuff.

To be honest with ya Dave, I would. I've already had to clean it up from where my son-in-law drooled all over it. I've had to build it up piecemeal to get it where it is now, and I'm not done, but I enjoy it. Somebody who doesn't want to spend the time I spent fiddling with it should spend the extra money. I couldn't. But I'm having fun and I like the fact that I know that saw inside and out. But that's me. :-) The problems I have with my projects are due to my inexperience, not the saw.

Hope you don't consider that a flame. I tried hard not to make it one. I think the current Giz products are solid frameworks that still need some tweaking to get them up to par, but although they apparently used to be junk, I don't think they are anymore.

So I'm not going to feel bad at all about handing this saw off to my son-in-law when I have the wherewithal to purchase a unisaur and a decent place to put it. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yes I saw that one. Wish they were just down the road.

Reply to
Grant

Just curious. Is the 93.5" blade that the Grizzly uses a "Common" blade?

The more I look into these saws the better the Grizzly looks.

Is there a good but inexpensive aftermarket Mobile Base for the Grizzly G0555? Grizzly wants $70 for theirs.

Reply to
Grant

Dan, You are correct, it was well over five years ago. Thanks.

Here is how I honestly feel about it. Grizzly gets one bite at the apple. They failed miserably and it was none to easy to get them to take it back either. They wanted to... never mind, its a painful story but you get the idea.

I learned long ago, cheap tools are cheap for a reason. If Grizzly is making a high quality tool now, then fine, go for it. But from what I have seen first hand, they still have a few more steps to go.

Dave

TeamCasa

I'm not sure what you mean by "common." It is not bimetal or any special Swedish steel and it isn't made from previously before unknown elements recovered from the Roswell UFO crash. It's just a 6tpi 3/8" blade that cuts fine but doens't seem to last long.

The grizzly IS great. I love mine.

Can't help with that one. The one Sears sells sucks. Make you're own out of hardwood?

Reply to
Bruce

FWIW, I don't think Grizzly tools are all THAT cheap.

The $375 + $55 band saw compares to band saws in the $400-500 range, not $850 saws. Since you have no dealer support, are jumping through hoops to deal with truckers, and are buying it sight unseen, a premium has to be offered to the buyer. A good dealer has value, true value isn't free.

Many of the "free" accessories I've seen that were included with any brand of Chiwanese machine tool are Harbor Freight quality.

There are other Chiwanese brands, like Woodtek and Sunhill that sell Grizzly quality at the same price. Jet, General, Rigid, and Delta sell imports at the midpoint to bottom of their lines that include local dealer support.

FWIW, Grizzly may have the biggest advertising budget in the business, EVERY magazine I have, including trades, like "Woodshop News", has multiple ads. Grizzly usually buys back covers, inside front and back covers, and sometimes centerfolds, all of which are the most expensive ads in the issue.

While most of these Chiwanese tools are suitable for the tasks they were designed for, overall you do get what you pay for. Every time I've thought of ordering a Grizzly tool, with the exception of the spindle / disc combo sander, I've found an almost identical tool, at nearly the same price, locally.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Therein likes the problem.

Mo matter what brand or tool and no matter what marketing and distribution, the cheap saw is not going to have the same components and same finish as the higher priced saws.

Differences are not always apparent. Thickness of materials in the trunions, the web under the table, the spokes of the wheels that keep it from deflecting. The motor just looks like a black can with a shaft, but inside there is copper windings. It may have smaller bearing in the cheap one. Drives may have a sloppier tolerance on balance.

Frankly, the better saws are in the $500 and up range. If I saw you, I'd gat my ass over to Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and get the Jet 14" for $449 today. That is the minimum saw that I'd recommend if you want quality.

I started out looking to spend less, but bought the Jet a couple of years ago. I don't regret it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski