14" bandsaw

Not so. Most bandsaw blade makers will make customs sizes. Suffolk Machine for one, I think Woodhaven will Lee Valley sells a kit for brazing blades and you can buy 100' coils. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm in So Cal so San Jose is too far. Need so be not more than a few hours each way. Driving to San Jose would cost me near $50 each way and take

14hrsRT. Thanks though. I'm half way between LA and SD.
Reply to
Grant

On 18 Apr 2004 08:19:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (ossidog) brought forth from the murky depths:

No, you can get custom length blades from Suffolk Machinery, too.

SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ----------
Poly-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

By the way, I have a Grizzly G0555 and it comes with a 92 1/2" blade! There are references to it having a 93 1/2" which is pretty much standard for a

14" BS but that isn't what the Grizzly uses. When you add the riser block it then uses a 105" blade which is standard with most of the other 14" BS that have a 12" throat.
Reply to
Ron Stitt

There is an adjustment on the back of the saw that sets it for use from anything from 92 to 93.5.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

Going to the Delta site it looks like the stand will accept the motor in either location.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Last September I drove up to Muncy, Pa. to the Grizzly show room. My intent was to purchase the 16" band saw. I was planning on getting the one with the cast iron wheels. If you have never been to a Grizzly showroom do yourself a favor and take a trip. That place is packed full of all kinds of machinery. I ended up getting the 17" with cast alum. wheels. I works great, I use it for resawing rough sawn 2x8 oak and walnut. I even use the cheap Grizzly 1" blades. You can't push the stock through fast enough to bog down the motor. I also have a Grizzly joiner and the 15" thickness planer. I couldn't be happier with any of them. I started out with a crapsman cabinet saw, but soon found myself sucked into the Unisaw mystique. I bought one about three years ago. It's a great saw, but I have yet to do something on it that couldn't be done on the Crapsmen. I have found that as long as the iron is good, you can get anything to cut perfect. If you can't, you should hire someone who knows what he is doing to set it up for you. The problems that the other poster was whining about, was more than likely self inflicted. If it wasn't Grizzly would have most certainly made it right. I even regret selling the crapsmen table saw. It was working great but I finally convinced myself that I needed the Unisaw. But then again, I convince myself a new $400.00 drive will straighten out my golf game about every three or four months. Currently I am on a Dewalt tool kick, can anyone give me a slap along side the head to knock it out of me. Every time I see a yellow tool I start reaching for my wallet.

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

> Still, the price looks very good, for now.

Reply to
Robert Smith

Well thanks to everyone that replied and gave input. I looked at the Jets, and the Delta at Lowes. And of course the Ridgid at Home Depot, and the Craftsman at Sears. Never got to see the Grizzly in person.

But got myself a Very lightly used Delta 28-299 (American made) that came with all "Limited Edition" goodies, still had the original blade on it, rip fence, mobile base, vacuum attachment, and circle cutting attachment. It runs very smooth. Needs a bit of retuning and a new blade. But even as I got it it runs very good. I am very happy and think that I've got a saw that will serve me very well for my lifetime of any band sawing chores that I will probably do.

again for the input, Grant

Reply to
Grant

Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

{snip}

If you've got 'yellow fever' check out a DeWalt 735 planer. You'll be impressed how quickly and smoothly ittl plane your wallet. And you won't be disappointed with what it does to wood either.

Kim

Reply to
Kim

Thanks Ed. I think I did get a winner. I paid only about $45 more than the Grizzly Ultimate. But I got more saw I beleive. I'm stoked. Gotta get some good blades for it though. The original one that came with it is the only one that had ever been used on it. I'd like a good assortment. Any recommendations? Grant

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote> Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Grant

So far, I've used the 1/2" Timberwolf for re-saw work and a 1/4" for general cutting and curves. Eventually I want to get 1/8" for tighter curves but I've not had the need yet. I think those three sizes will get you 90%+ of all your cutting needs. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Get ceramics for it. Especially if you'll be doing a lot of work with wide blades. I'm a turner, and they control the blade beautifully when the old cool blocks just wore the left upper and lower like crazy.

Below 1/4, and possibly at it, you'll want soft ones.

"Normal" use shows me with 1/2" 3TPI for resawing and green wood large, 3/8"

4 TPI for green wood small, 3/8 and 1/4" 6 TPI for general purpose use, but I own an oscillating spindle sander. For bandsaw boxes we use a 12 TPI 1/4 at the school, I've got a 3/16 with perhaps 14 at home.

Oh yes, as I've mentioned more than once, the kids stand in line at school to get to the old Delta (and now the new) versus the Grizzly, which is an inconsistent performer. You did good.

Reply to
George