12 volt wood saw ideas ?

Page 2 of 2

Given that you have a large trailer, would you be better off picking up the pallets,hauling them to a home shop where you can a) work inside, b) have your tools set up to run off the power for which they were designed, and c) have your tools set up to efficiently process said pallets? Might actually be more efficient that way than hauling the tools to the sites.

Look in multiple batteries. Get the voltage up to 48v DC, (car batteries in series-parallel) Several motors available that would do the job nicely.
Dave
If you're going to get some enjoyment or satisfaction out of doing the conversion/modifications, that's one thing.
If it were me I wouldn't bother with all the fuss. I'd just buy a generator and use whatever 120/220 tools I had available and still have the generator for other use too. But that's just me.
Don't delude yourself into green/energy-savings trap. If you charge the batteries using gasoline in any form, you're better off efficiency wise with the generator.
Art

Wow, that's a lot of ideas/considerations to think about.
To input some more info as i did not at first see as important. I have been using pallets and reclaimed timber for my business for 5 years and of course use the scrap in the stove. But now the output is increasing and always looking to earn a bit more i have a plan to remove unwanted pallets, saw up on site or around the corner to save time and fuel, then sell as fuel in bags. I use a 240 v jigsaw in the workshop normally in the initial 'cutting up' of pallets for my furniture but have no experience of 12v saws as in battery type but thought one could wire one to the car battery, (i have a large one for the trailer winch and a chunky cable to supply same). If anybody has done this and it works i would find this favorite.
Thanks for all your input so far.

I used to have a 12 volt chainsaw for off road use. I had a marine, deep discharge battery in back of the SUV which I kept charged up. The chainsaw was used for cutting trees across the road and a little firewood for the campfire.
One disadvantge of this set was that it required an absolutely huge cable. DC needs this huge cable to move energy even a short distance. I liked it because I did not have to mess with gasoline. But it was heavy with the cable. And if you get very far from the vehicle, you are talking about a lot of weight. And it is cumbersome to move those cables around. And the cable takes up a lot of room in the vehicle as well.
I used to burn pallets for firewood. I just went to a small gas chainsaw. It was a lot faster and lighter.

Ironically the Green energy hybrid automobiles with the huge battery arrays that are suppose to pollute less really don't. They pollute worse in a different way. Those toxic batteries have to be disposed of every 60-75 thousand miles and that is a nasty problem. I am shocked that California allows these cars to be sold there.

arrays
Common sense will never get in the way of a good Californian.

Or get an after market alternator for your car that puts out 120 volts. Actually automobile alternators produce A/C current and the internal rectifier bridge converts the current to D/C. IIRC one of the Pontiac SUV's has 120 outlets.
david wrote:

Circular or sawzall? There are battery versions for both.
I'd like to find a 'plug' that I could wire myself to do exactly that. Otherwise, I suppose could make one from wood. A twelve-volt car battery is used to putting out more amps than a saw draws.

Would it not be difficult to use a bandsaw for cutting up pallets?

I'm curious, why isn't an electric chainsaw an option? IMHO, it is the ideal tool for hacking up pallets.
--

FF

True, however only for "very" short bursts at a time.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Hello Fred
Just the oil, want to sell the wood so trying to keep it clean for the customers. Plus as a woodworker i have a 'thing' about oil, not allowed in the workshop, messes up everything.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Hello Fred I like that idea, with an electric chainsaw you only need to lubricate. Anyone used the 'ex deep fry oil' for this ?
Regards David
david wrote:

Why not just use a cordless saw? There are vehicle chargers available for most systems.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate