12 volt wood saw ideas ?

Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling (into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt 2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw 3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards David

Reply to
david

david wrote: > Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling > (into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car > battery so any ideas/experience for >

I like option 2.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
sweetsawdust

--------- Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling (into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car battery so any ideas/experience for

---------

Hi David,

Please, do yourself a favor, use a deep cycle battery to operate your saw, NOT your car battery! You will kill your car battery in no time by discharging it often by more than 20%. A car battery is designed for a very large current supply for the short duration of an engine start, which actually uses only 5% of the battery energy capacity in regular conditions. The battery gets recharged back immediately when the engin is running. It is not designed to be discharged!

A deep cycle battery has a different plate construction and is meant to supply a smaller current and be discharged by 80% for 200 to 300 cycles. By using a battery isolator, you could rechage (partly, maybe) the battery while driving back home.

Car starting batteries have the bad habit of dying suddenly and leaving you stranded in the wrong place. Please do some research on deep cycle batteries and the best ways to prolong their life.

Good luck!

Andre

Reply to
andypack

What about putting a gas motor on your bandsaw/tablesaw? I've seen it done.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Fuel for what?

RicodJour

I would not recommend trying to run a decent size saw or bandsaw on 12V.

Think of the large cables you will need. Consider a 1 HP motor. Small for a table saw, not considered small for a bandsaw.

1 HP = 745 Watts (Volts x Amps). Accounting for motor efficiency, you could be looking at needing to run cables which can take 70 Amps. If you undersize the cables, you starve the motor and will cause something to fail or burn.

I recommend you buy a small portable generator. I do not know about the UK, but in the US there are many sizes and brands available. The less expensive will not last as long and have more noise.

At least this way you can use whatever motor is on the saw/bandsaw and may also use the generator for lighting.

If all you are doing is cutting up pallets, I would go for a bandsaw as requiring less power for a given cut thickness, due to far fewer teeth cutting compared to table saw.

I have a 1 1/2 HP table saw and it really slows down when cutting 8/4 maple. I used to have a 3/4 HP bandsaw which was able to cut the maple without a problem (assuming the blade was not dull). I now have a 2 HP bandsaw and as expected it can cut 8/4 maple even better than the smaller unit.

Another consideration is the cost of blades. If you are cutting pallets, you may miss a nail or staple. If a blade was to be ruined by accidentally cutting metal, I think a bandsaw blade will be a cheaper replacement than a decent table saw blade - at least it is for me.

My table saw blade cost me $90. My bandsaw blades cost me around $20.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Reply to
Mike Berger

Add a deep discharge battery to your car or van and get a 1000W inverter. Run your circular saw off that. My tuppence worth .....

Reply to
jfroche

Generator. I doubt a 12V saw is going to give the power and endurance you need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Handsaw, crowbar and small sledge hammer? Or buy an 18v cordless sawzall and a mess of batteries that you can recycle in the evenings.

I know that not an innovative solution, but the hand tools are not much slower for demolition/recycling tasks. Good exercise too, and they fit the whole "recycling" ethic well too boot.

hylourgos

Given that you have a large trailer, would you be better off picking up the pallets,hauling them to a home shop where you can a) work inside, b) have your tools set up to run off the power for which they were designed, and c) have your tools set up to efficiently process said pallets? Might actually be more efficient that way than hauling the tools to the sites.

Mark & Juanita

Well, he plans to use the car battery for power right now. Where do you think the energy to charge that comes from?

todd

Reply to
todd

"Tyke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

*snip*

Are there bandsaw blades that can handle both wood and metal? I know bandsaws are used for both purposes, but are the blades/speed the same?

That's another thing to consider.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Metal saws turn slower and use finer tooth blades. You can cut (slowly) wood on a metal saw easier than cutting metal on a wood saw. There are a couple of dual speeds but I don't know if they are acceptable for both.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Mike Berger

Look in multiple batteries. Get the voltage up to 48v DC, (car batteries in series-parallel) Several motors available that would do the job nicely.

Dave

Teamcasa

If you're going to get some enjoyment or satisfaction out of doing the conversion/modifications, that's one thing.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with all the fuss. I'd just buy a generator and use whatever 120/220 tools I had available and still have the generator for other use too. But that's just me.

Don't delude yourself into green/energy-savings trap. If you charge the batteries using gasoline in any form, you're better off efficiency wise with the generator.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Wow, that's a lot of ideas/considerations to think about.

To input some more info as i did not at first see as important. I have been using pallets and reclaimed timber for my business for 5 years and of course use the scrap in the stove. But now the output is increasing and always looking to earn a bit more i have a plan to remove unwanted pallets, saw up on site or around the corner to save time and fuel, then sell as fuel in bags. I use a 240 v jigsaw in the workshop normally in the initial 'cutting up' of pallets for my furniture but have no experience of 12v saws as in battery type but thought one could wire one to the car battery, (i have a large one for the trailer winch and a chunky cable to supply same). If anybody has done this and it works i would find this favorite.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Reply to
david

I used to have a 12 volt chainsaw for off road use. I had a marine, deep discharge battery in back of the SUV which I kept charged up. The chainsaw was used for cutting trees across the road and a little firewood for the campfire.

One disadvantge of this set was that it required an absolutely huge cable. DC needs this huge cable to move energy even a short distance. I liked it because I did not have to mess with gasoline. But it was heavy with the cable. And if you get very far from the vehicle, you are talking about a lot of weight. And it is cumbersome to move those cables around. And the cable takes up a lot of room in the vehicle as well.

I used to burn pallets for firewood. I just went to a small gas chainsaw. It was a lot faster and lighter.

Reply to
Lee Michaels