Subject Author Posted Replies

First go at wet sanding.
FWIW, tried wet sanding with mineral spirits the first time today. 800 grit cuts like crazy. Stearated paper doesn't really give the same result. The 800 sanding by hand seems to cut faster than...
1
1

Another bandsaw question
I'm in the market for a 14" bandsaw. I'm seriously looking at the Powermatic 1791216K 14CS. Seems to be better built (more cast iron) than some of the others. Anybody have any experience with this...
3
3

Bandsaw Info
[...snip...] FYI, that can be caused by the top wheel not being coplanar with the bottom wheel. This is a very commonly needed adjustment with a shim behind one of the wheels to bring it coplanar with...
5
5

Difficult Refinishing Question
I'm in the process of refinishing a desk that my parents bought in the late '30s or early '40s. It's (African) Mahogany with a very, very dark red finish that was popular back then. While I've finally...
1
1

Piano Hinge
I need two short piano hinges, approx. 24 inches. I'm thinking about sawing a 48 inch hinge in half. Will I have any problem with the pin staying put? The hinges will be used vertically. Thanks Tim
3
3

Re: Mantle clocks plans repost
I did. Old Guy

Need advice on polyurethane on red oak baseboard
I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?...
9
9

Two 10 " blades at once 1/2 in apart.
Question? If I put two 10 inch smooth cut blades on a delta table saw and spaced the blades =BD inch apart leaving =BD inch space to the fence, would I be able to rip my Redwood and get three pieces...
35
35

Latest Handyman Club Mailing
Handyman Club of America must be getting desparate. I just got my latest mailing from them. They must have decided that the low response rate in signing up new victims^H^H^H^H^H I mean...
8
8

Questions on Delta 14" Bandsaw?
Don't take this as gospel, but I discovered with my bandsaw, which was marked 28-280 on the boxes it came in, that it is really a 28-203 (I think) with a 1 HP motor and enclosed base. That's what...
18
18

Good deal on a shop heater...
Found a great deal on a popane heater for my shop. 2 car garage, runs of a 20 # propane cylinder also with the optional hose. Have to go to Lowes to get it or order online is the price for my...
8
8

crank handle help
I have a 1950's craftsman table saw model 113. I'm trying to remove the two chrome crank handles. I removed the allen head set screw fom the back/side, but the handle won't pull off the shaft. Can...
4
4

How to Extend Window Stool Into a Bookcase?
I've seen it in many books where the window stool is extended into a bookcase or window seat. I just can't seem to find any directions anywhere on how to do it. Are there any special precautions? If...
4
4

Lacquer under enamel?
Any problems I should expect with spray primer under oil enamel?
2
2

Alternatives to Biscuit Joint
I am building a TV Credenza out of 3/4" Maple plywood (Premium Grade). It will be approx 65"L X @22"D X 23"H. My question is what would be the best type of joint to use on these pieces? I was thinking...
37
37