Subject Author Posted Replies

Advice on box glue up
Need some advice on gluing up a box. This is a standard box about 6" x 11" solid wood with rabbit joints on corners (for appearance). Bottom is 1/4" ply glued to the box body, no problem yet. The top...
20
20

Cabinetry for woodworkers and music lovers.
One fine way to make a fun project pay off big is to make your own loudspeakers. In no other way that I can think of can the time spent be as rewarding. There is a huge return on investement when one...
22
22

BellCarroll brand -quality inquiry
Hi all, does anyone have experience with the BellCarroll brand of power tools...are they any good quality? thanks in advance, JJ
2
2

Opinions about this lathe
Anyone have an opinion about this lathe? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.htmlThanks.
6
6

WTB: Woodworking Training Videos
A long shot, but I thought I'd give this a try. I'm considering buying some of the instructional DVD's sold by Mohawk Refinishing, for training on proper use of their products. They're rather pricey...

Craftsman drill press any good
At what point did the Craftsman stuff become junk? Any idea if this would be any good: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/265858650.htmlMike
3
3

Pinewood Derby Diagnosis
My son competed in his second Pinewood Derby a couple of weeks ago. Last year he finished dead last. This year he finished 3rd from dead last. I would like to ask for some diagnostic help from more...
35
35

Router roundovers
Hello, I am new to routing and just purchased my first router and was doing some practice runs and had a question. I am attempting to round over a 3/4 thick piece of oak. I never seem to be able to...
12
12

Walnut/Pure tung oil
I would appreciate some info on using pure tung oil (50% oil 50% mineral spirits) finish on the INTERIOR of a hope chest. There will only be a lift out tray of cedar as I do not want to hide the...
3
3

Pantry style tool cabinet
I was told that in a recent woodworking style magazine there were plans for a pantry style tool cabinet (about 6' tall). The kind with the double door/shelves inside the cabinet itself. An internet...
1
1

Questions about that new Craftsman machine seen on TV...
Hello all, I hope, I'm not off topic, but has anyone seen that machine (not sure what to call it) that craftsman has been advertising on television that will carve designs for you from a computer? If...
6
6

More than you ever wanted to know about Mortise & Tenon
The mortise and tenon joint is a must have in your techniques arsenal - if you're going to make solid wood furniture. It's not that difficult a joint to make - IF you pay attention and use a decent...
9
9

Sapele Finish Questions
I've recently built a Frank Lloyd Wright lamp out of sapele and this is my first piece using this wood. My original intent was to make it out of honduran mahogany, which now seems to be unobtainable....

"non-shop" stuff that's useful in the shop
I've been realizing recently that I have a lot of stuff in the shop that I wouldn't consider traditional "shop-type stuff". Several things I found myself running upstairs to get, or just little...
27
27

tack cloths?
I understand store bought tack cloths leave a residue that can interfere with a stain or finish. I can brush, vacuum and blow air to remove surface sanding dust but still some dust remains. How can I...
19
19