Opinions about this lathe

Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

anonymous

I see you can turn computer monitors with the lathe. Not every lathe can do that.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Those 8088s can really deliver the power.

Reply to
samson

You'll get responses here, but I'll bet you'll get more on rec.crafts.woodturning

Reply to
George Max

Buck fifty. Not that you can't turn on it, but it's nothing recognizable as a name or clone, which means break is broke forever most likely. Strange-looking toolrest, that's for sure.

I've never had good experiences with bars for a bed, either.

Reply to
George

Penn State is not a "high quality" lathe. Nothing wrong with them, I own a bit of stuff from Penn State, but "high quality" they are not.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

picture.

I don't care for the ways being tubes instead of cast iron- it not only seems cheap, but it also makes that "banjo-type object" the toolrest is mounted in a lot less useful, as it doesn't appear to be capable of being set at an angle or parallel to the ways (there could be a lot I'm missing there from the picture.)

The tool rest is wierd. Who knows, it could be an excellent design, but it's definately an oddball.

I guess if it were me, I'd pass on it for $250. If he'd take $100, I might try something like that out for the heck of it- but it seems a tad expensive for an experiment to me. One would hope that Penn State has accessories for it, but you never really know.

$250 gets you close to a Jet Midi or a Delta Mini when they go on sale, and an extra $40-50 will put a bed extension on one if you need that extra length. $100-150 will get you a brand new off-brand like Wilton if you're just looking for something to mess around on, and they're a lot closer to standard design.

Reply to
Prometheus