Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

In message , Owain writes

Hey, that was a proper wok. Sized to fit the parcan properly. :)

Clive Mitchell

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Did you pick it up by the right end? :)

They did?

I had to wait until I reached 16 then went and did it for real. Not domestic wiring though, I ended up serving my apprenticeship with an electrical engineering company doing construction and steelworks. Much better than school!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

lol, bad man :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No. A PhD in an irrelevant field. Working on electrics? You need a PhD in Media Studies. Working as a journalist? You need a PhD in architecture.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

In message , Aidan Karley writes

So true. I remember being totally blanked for a maintenance job at a local Alcan plant. They specifically wanted students with an HND (any HND) to work on their machinery. Not a real electrician with tons of electronics, panel building and maintenance experience.

Then they shut down. Maybe they couldn't keep the machines running.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

I can gert em that price online..

BUT its accepatble for now. I am going to leave it. If the new cartridge when this one runs out doesn't fix it, its by by my old and faithful laserjet..and probably hello color one..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Getting a nice tidy neat title together would be asking too much of this one. I've no idea what it was called, but I'm sure the title would have been long, meandering, pointless, of no consequence at all, and in French.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

The reason I asked was that, on viewing Eraserhead, I was of the opinion that someone had got the reels mixed up somewhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not if they've properly selected the harness and shock-absorber, fitted it properly, and chosen a suitable anchor point. That they don't do that / won't do that / don't understand the issues involved is no surprise. It's a bit of a condemnation of the inadequacies of their HSE training people though. Go back to where the work for developing those harnesses, shock absorbers, etc - a properly-kitted out caver can be doing his engineering work on a tiny ledge above a 220ft drop, take a slip, and come to a halt with the anchor point below his eye level while suspended. But that's someone who *understands* his ropes and harnesses, not someone who's just thrown on the harness because he doesn't need to be bollocked by the "fookin elf & unsafety man". Quick question - do these poor sods on the top of the traffic lights have their own personal set of kit (harnesses, personal-sized shock absorbers, anchors, etc) or do they just keep one harness in the van, stretched to the max so everyone can get into it and never adjusted to fit any one? Stupid question, really.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Top of the pole? (Assuming they've got the rain cap off already to get at the cables)

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Was it ever anything else?

While I'm no great fan-boy for the "Paper Tigers", their main role is actually in trying to stop management shedding liability down to individuals without providing adequate equipment, training and time. Management have, of course, evolved to try to nullify these pressures. With, it must be said, the whole-hearted and conscious connivance of sub-contractors, particularly those on piece-work, who go apoplectic about having to take the time to do the job according to the rules. (So what if they won't earn as much money per day as they'd hoped - they'd included these timings in their estimates for the job hadn't they?)

Reply to
Aidan Karley

In message , Aidan Karley writes

Most likely each person has their own harness. I have mine my colleagues have theirs. The only time one is shared is if someone visits a job and unexpectedly needs one.

In construction you don't get much choice on the shock absorber. It does appear to be one size fits all.

Now scaffolders.... Do they ever clip on to anything? Saw one recently with the harness over his shoulders but his legs not through the loops. Just dangling behind him.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Aidan Karley writes

I thought their main role was to help shed responsibility from management. All the ones I've met have worked that way. White collar looking after white collar....

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

How do you get the rain cap off if you "can't work" without being clipped on?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

At end of the day, with or without strain relief hooks, the weight of the lampshade is going to be carried at one point by only the two copper multi-stranded mains wires and their respective insulation.

The heavier gauge protective outer sheath of the flex is not used in the UK ceiling pendants I have seen.

I don't know what the breaking strain is of those two little wires but it can't be all that much.

ISTR that a UK ceiling flex is about 6A (0.75 mm^2 and perhaps made up of 24 strands of 0.2mm diameter). For example:

?SKU=730858One link happens to show 3 cores but usually there will be only two cores holding a ceiling lampholder & shade.

What is the breaking strain of those two cores alone without any outer sheathing? Is anyone able to test this and get a reading of the required force?

Reply to
Alex Coleman

Max permitted weight supported by a two-conductor flex in UK Wiring Regs is:

0.5mm² 2kg 0.75mm² 3kg
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed - from product specifications for MK ceiling roses and pendant sets:

"Suitable for fittings of up to 5kgs. Heavier fittings must be installed using independent support eg. ceiling hook."

Although MK pendant sets are supplied pre-fitted with "0.75mm2 two core circular cable", so there is some discrepancy with your quoted max permitted weight.

David

Reply to
David Lee

|=20 |=20 | On 10 Dec 2006, Clive Mitchell wrote: | >

| > It's not just relying on the wire being clamped. When assembled=20 | > correctly the wires are looped over strain relief hooks which | > remove a lot of the pull force. | >

|=20 |=20 | At end of the day, with or without strain relief hooks, the weight of=20 | the lampshade is going to be carried at one point by only the two = copper=20 | multi-stranded mains wires and their respective insulation. =20

Yes. |=20 | The heavier gauge protective outer sheath of the flex is not used in = the=20 | UK ceiling pendants I have seen. |=20 | I don't know what the breaking strain is of those two little wires but =

| it can't be all that much.

We don't have 100 lb lampshades, those are chandeliers with other means of support. As you correctly stated, you "don't know".

|=20 | ISTR that a UK ceiling flex is about 6A (0.75 mm^2 and perhaps made up =

| of 24 strands of 0.2mm diameter). For example: |

|=20| One link happens to show 3 cores but usually there will be only two=20 | cores holding a ceiling lampholder & shade. |=20 | What is the breaking strain of those two cores alone without any outer =

| sheathing?=20

About 100 lbs.

Is anyone able to test this and get a reading of the=20 | required force?

Yes, hang on it with one of these:=20

are you so concerned when there a several million in use?

What's black, charred and hangs from the ceiling?=20

An (Irish/Polish/Belgian/Chinese/Pakistani * ) electrician.

  • choose ethnic group to suit your locality and create raucous laughter.
Reply to
Sorcerer

Rod from the bottom?

Reply to
Richard Conway

You could equally ask "How do you clip on if you "can't work" without being clipped on?" The answer to which question is obvious - the entire process of attaching your safety is not part of "the work" but must be carried out before "work" commences and must be subject to its own risk assessment.

The only issue is whether removal of a cover to gain access to an attachment point can be carried out safely prior to the installation of fall-arrest precautions - but this should be covered in the risk assessment and work instructions for the process.

David

Reply to
David Lee