Wow! I didn't know it cost that much?

I figured Bayliss would be there at the front of the que for this...seeing as he's probably got some more patents he's already pinched from the archives patent library.

Reply to
George

"nightjar uk.com>"

Was only going by Dyson site on patenting,I suppose the figure could be wrong? and a digit left out. :-)

Reply to
George

Evidence?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suggest you get advice from poeple that actually know the subject. Try news:alt.inventors. Although there is some sound info in this thread so far, most is from people who've not done what they recommend.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"nightjar uk.com>"

You can buy insurance for any contingency - the premium will vary according to its likelihood.

Yes.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar uk.com>"

Yes. My PL insurance is for £5m and the premium is under £100 - but I don't make weapons ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

this...seeing

Wind up radio :-)

Reply to
George

dangerous stuff beeswax

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's evidence of what? Authoritative references only, please, not hearsay, anecdote or opinion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suggest you get advice from poeple that actually know the subject. Try news:alt.inventors. Although there is some sound info in this thread so far, most is from people who've not done what they recommend.

There used to be a magazine for inventors too, I can't remember the title, you could Google.

Mary

NT

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was at an after dinner talk he gave to several hundred computer geeks. He went on about how kids should be taught about protecting their ideas and not sharing them etc. Went down like a lead balloon in a hall full of open source software fans :)

Reply to
dmc

I bet its been done before.

Reply to
dennis

I cant see anything like the proposed tool I have in mind on the shelves Dennis nor have I seen anything to resemble it that the intended tradesman its going to be designed for.

The more I think about it the more I need to jiggle with it to make it more versatile for the same intended use.

Methinks its a pencil and paper job now and mabe construct it in a wood prototype

Reply to
George

Try:

Mr Fuxit

.. and ignore the nay sayers and bringers of cold water who have never done anything entrepreneurial.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can recommend an excellent patent lawyer in San Jose, if you want to patent it in the US or worldwide. However, I suspect the fees probably start at 100 times the patent application fee (fortunately I wasn't paying them;-).

You should make sure you keep all records going back as far as you have any (notes, photos, etc). You may need to prove at some point in the future when you first had the idea, if you need to defend against someone else's patent.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not at all.

That's a blast from the past. My parents said the same thing Ca 1958 wrt a jet powered sports car to be used on the public road. It wasn't true then.

And it's certainly not true since the Nypro plant blew up at Flixborough, Not to mention the Coalite (Dioxin) plant at Bolsover, and not since the Breast Implant debacle.

We can't get cover for a simple medical laser pointing device that would assist with doing liver / lung etc biopsies to the direct benefit of the patient, IE it would avoid having to do puncture after puncture, after puncture to find the right spot ( The tumour mass, is mobile and dodges around as the biopsy needle approaches), and avoid tying up an MRI machine for say 20 minutes per unsatisfactory puncture, increasing patient throughput by 2-3 times.

Currently the doctors are doing it with rulers and protractors.

Believe me, the patients would be very, very, grateful indeed if their discomfort could be reduced 60 - 80% at a stroke.

If it were to fail the doctor would be in no worse a position than he was without it, if it were to give an erroneous result it would be apparent on final check films taken on the same investigation, just like a bad manual result which are currently about 66%.

Our insurers say they won't take it on at any premium since they had some exposure to prosthetic Breast Implants which went wrong. They say if medical stuff ( Hardware, Software, Medication) goes wrong it goes wrong in a big and unpredictable way which is dis-proportionate to the cost of the material or the premium paid.

A bit like a chemical plant that blows up, I suppose.

The Flixborough explosion devastated a village 9 miles away with debris that fell from the skies like rain, and the blast was felt in Grimsby 25 miles away. The Coalite explosion contaminated much of Derbyshire with Dioxin.

How can an insurance company rate the "likelyhood" of events like these, and the cost, when AFAIK both were without precedent.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

nightjar If you get that stage right, by the time anyone else can get their version

Or pay a lot to buy you out.

Reply to
djc

An insurance company can't rate the likelihood of any event with 100% accuracy but it you think your process is so safe and foolproof why do you need insurance?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Change insurers. £10 million product liability insurance is a standard clause in any contract to supply medical devices to the NHS, so it is certainly not impossible to get. I used a broker to arrange ours but I now have no idea of which companies they insured us with.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar