Wiring for electric kiln

One of my tenants is a potter, he's currently got a 3kW electric kiln and is planning on getting a 6kW one, so I need to put an extra circuit in for it. Any points to bear in mind? I'm planning on treating it as though it's a cooker and putting in a 30/32A radial with a neon two-pole switch and cooker outlet box. To tidy things up I'll probably also put in a 15/16A radial for the 3kW kiln as well.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I think you have got it covered.

Just make sure that the cable will be suitable for a higher powered kiln, eg a 9kW 40A supply for future upgrades.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Good point, I've got a pile of 6mm that's been sitting doing nothing.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Leakage currents can get fairly high for pottery kilns. Glass kilns are easier, as big ones of that power are now using tube elements that don't have the same leakage.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

6kW kiln, the existing 3kW kiln, 10 x 35W fluoescent lights, and a radio. Heating and hot water is gas-fired, controlled by a circuit on the landlord's supply.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Cable and accessory rating for ambient temperature.

Owain

Reply to
Owain