Noisy Ceiling Cord Pull Switches

I have given up trying to find a quiet one - but I am curious as to why wall switches can have a gentle slow make/break action - but ceiling ones seem to have a fast snap action. If anyone knows of a quiet one then let me know - but I think I can swop one from my loft light which is old and quiet with the noisy new one in my bathroom.
I have given up trying to find a quiet one - but I am curious as to why wall switches can have a gentle slow make/break action - but ceiling ones seem to have a fast snap action. If anyone knows of a quiet one then let me know - but I think I can swop one from my loft light which is old and quiet with the noisy new one in my bathroom.

Don't use a 10A one, almost pulls the ceiling down, look for a 2A or better a 1A.

Replaced our bathroom one a few years ago becuase "it was old". Then had same problem as you have - the damn CLICK NOISE. The (30+) year old one was much quieter - ah they knew how to make 'em in those days :-)
Ended up fitting a LED light above loo and on landing. It's amazing how little light one needs to see by when... wandering about at night.
Seriously though, I bet there's a market for 'no-noise' light pullcords.

I've just recently fitted a replacement in my bathroom, and it came from Wickes. By no means 'silent', but quite a 'soft' click compared to the one that came out, which was a really loud 'crack' with an underlying 'twang', certainly loud enough to wake the household in the middle of the night.
Arfa
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 01:18:32 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Is it 2-way? I've a loud one that operates the light near the bed. It doesn't bother me of course, as I tend to be awake when operating it, but it's very near the party wall so I'm reluctant to use it at night!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Indeed it was, because I remember thinking (as you do!), "I wonder if there is any preference between using the 'one way' and the 'two way' terminal in a one way installation"? Obviously, there's no electrical difference, and in the case of a pull-pull switch, no physical issue of getting it the right way up, either. I guess it's just one of those little mysteries of life ... :-)
But yes. Wickes. 2 way. Quieter than 'normal', but by no means silent.
Arfa
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:44:33 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Thanks Arfa. I'll be Aldi-way tomorrow so Wickes isn't far from there.
I can't see any good reason for making 1-way switches: for a single plate there is about 20p difference.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Are you sure that it is noisy and not just an echo?
--
Adam

Are you sure that it is noisy and not just an echo?
--
Adam

On 15 Mar,

I've got one similar in the bog. The bathroom one is quiet. The original in the bog was quiet. I don't seem to be able to buy a quiet one. The cheapo one was noisy so I replaced with one from one of the market leaders. Just as bad. Still looking for a quiet one.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
On 15/03/2011 20:35, John wrote:

Totally agree. Someone pulling the cord in the middle of the night wakes the whole house. I've not been successful in finding a quiet one though.
On 15/03/2011 20:50, Peter Scott wrote:

Occupancy sensor?

Many years ago, I had a ceiling switch which was virtually silent. It was probably 50 years old when, unfortunately, it packed up. The one I replaced it with produced a noise like a pistol being fired. I've learned to live with it - partly by refining my pulling technique, and partly by ignoring it. But there must be some quite switches out there.
--
Ian

The quietest ones were made by Legrand. CEF used to be stockists. I have not used either for a few years.
--
Adam

A quick Google finds this: http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/89979-quiet-ceiling-switch.html Most posters simply talk around the problem, but there is this recommendation in post #4: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2781.html But no guarantees.
--
Ian

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

That's what we've done downstairs, though for different reasons.

We have an LED nightlight in the bathroom so one can see to do one's business without putting a light on.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 2nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.

What you need is a motion sensor...
--
Frank Erskine

But what if you DON'T want to turn the light on?
--
Ian