Silent wall switches

Most new wall switches seem to make a loud 'snap' sound when they're pressed. Are there any ranges of electrical accessories which are quieter or even silent?

It seems to me that older switches aren't as loud - this might be because they're worn but some seem to have a softer touch, more sprung and less snappy.

Of course you can try and operate a 'snappy' switch in a quiet manner by pressing on it, but that's probably not much good for the switch.

Any ranges that are worth looking at?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

nightjar

There are those, but I'm looking for a family of regular mechanical switches (and mains sockets, etc), not active ones. Definitely not IoT :-)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If retrofitting note needs (a) neutral and (b) 35mm back box.

Reply to
Robin

Some I have tried where I am, are quiet if I operate them slowly.

You could visit various shops and try out what they are selling.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I find it is the pull-cord bathroom light switches that are the most annoying by far.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

GET/Schneider Ultimate from TLC:

Not silent but far less clacky than say MK...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd say you're right. Remember some damn near silent ones in the 60s. Advertised as such. Not very pretty though.

I have touch dimmers that really are silent. Apart from the buzz, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is why in our recent refurbishment we put ordinary light switches on the wall outside of bathrooms.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Apart from the 'clack' I find it annoying that the action isn't associated with the electrical breaking. My modernish pull switches all break the supply on a gentle pull /then/ clack. Same on make: pull, release slowly, clack (again), make. Does nothing to avoid arcing. The one 'old' switch does it properly, The old toggle light switches only slid the contacts but at least had a snap-over action.

Reply to
PeterC

I have a couple of ikea zigbee lamps, both are silent when on (even at dimmest setting) but have a *just* audible SMPSU whine when they are off, tempted to try potting one with resin, or giving it a 1/4W load to shut it up.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Banggood have a nice range of retro stop valve switches. i believe these are very quiet in operation and look unusual.

Andy Bennet

It could be what they are installed in - plastered solid brickwork or plasterboard stud wall.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds like a job for one of those touch plate switches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I changed all the white 'contract' light switches originally fitted in 1976 for MK logic switches. Much quieter, with a nice rocker action.

Reply to
Andrew

The Hamilton range.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You could get an old Rolls switch, run it off a 6v wallwart & use it to operate a mains relay. Style & silence.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The wall can amplify or channel the sound, but the sound comes from the switch itself. If you push it slowly you can feel the snap through your fingers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A visit to CEF provided an MK Logic - better, but still with an audible snap. I shall try some of the others.

(MK lose points for having a big embossed 'MK' logo on them between the pins

- I'm not sure why they need to advertise on the front at all)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

'cos they're now American owned.

Reply to
charles

The ones I bought about 7 years don't have any logos ?.

Mechanical switches will always have a bit of a 'snap' to stop you closing them intentionally slowly and creating an arc.

Reply to
Andrew