Wireless doorbells

I was going to buy one of these, since I can't hear the front door bell from my office, and I've no desire to run wires everywhere.

Any recommendations/thoughts/comments, etc.?

Reply to
Huge

Don't buy a cheap one! Go for a brand name like Friedland.

El cheapos tend to have a mind of their own IME.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A few years back I got a Byron wireless bell from B & Q that actually is the original bell type and hence can be heard over considerable distance. Far better than the ding-dong type !! It runs off a couple of D type cells and I must have had it now for 4 + years and the originals still going strong.

Strong recommendation - Byron type SX15.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You could go for one of these. Looks like a cool gadget.

Andrew May

Reply to
Huge

At £5.99 and still going strong after 2 years the Aldi wireless door chimes is worth the money. Keep your eye on their site as its due for reappearance.

Reply to
George

The HC450 Door intercom - the one in the little video (if your browser plays video) More details here:

the video.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Huge wrote in news:f6ak6g$4cm$1 @apophis.demon.co.uk:

If you have close neighbours, I'd strongly recommend you get one with adjustable frequencies.

I bought one of these, thank goodness.

On three of the four available frequencies, houses in our Close had already set up theirs. On Frequencies 1 to 3, when I rang my own bell to test, they went to their doors :-)

I haven't got a name for my one, but it was a cheapy from B&Q. I bought two because I needed a receiver/bell in my conservatory as well as in the lounge.

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

One where the receiver is mains powered? Hopefully a bit louder than the all battery types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crumbs, that's impressive, if *way* over the top, technology.

Reply to
Huge

Got an Argos one - built into a "plug through" adaptor so it doesn't tie up a socket.

Reply to
John

How loud do you need it to be sitting right next to you on the desk?

Nuthin wrong with battery type hence why its called Wireless ie you cant plug a mains job in if you're at the bottom of the garden.

Reply to
George

Fortunately not.

*grin*

I think I've decided to do that - one in the hall & one upstairs.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Huge

That, too.

Thanks!

Reply to
Huge

Fine if you like carrying around a doorbell all the time. Others have a life to get on with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed to a point - however, the batteries in some don't last very long as the receiver is akin to having a radio set turned on awaiting a signal. In our situation it made sense to have the ringer plugged in - and kept on the wall - rather than taking up space elsewhere. Wireless refers to the transmission from push button to ringer.

Reply to
John

No problem,however if I happen to ring someones doorbell and it chimes as loud as bigben I'll know its Dave Plowmans house. When I'm in the outhouse using my tools its needs to be with me otherwise I won't hear it in the front room and on saying that neither will I hear a wired bell. I'f the bell rings though no need to go to the door in some cases as I have also a wireless camera and small monitor to see whos at the door and if its a jehovas witness ect then they get ignored. The camera is affixed to the security hole viewer.

George

This sounds interesting - but how much does it cost, and where can one get it? I didn't find any information on this at the site.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

But watch for compatibility. We needed 2 bells to ensure we could hear the bell anywhere in the house, the most convenient combination was one battery bell and one mains one. At the time the Bryson battery and mains ones from B&Q were not compatible with each other and couldn't be mixed. We got a couple of Friedland ones which were compatible but they changed the design a year later and the new models are incompatible with the old ones. The pushbutton unit failed but fortunately we were able to replace it with the one that came with the second bell but we're now in the position that if any one of the 2 bells or the remaining push fail we have to replace the whole lot. Friedland don't supply spares for the discontinued lines.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Four settings sounds a bit limited. Better to go for one with a multi gang DIP switch. My Friedland one has an 8 pin switch giving 255 combinations..

Reply to
Mike Clarke