Wireless doorbells outdone!

The easiest jobs I've ever done were installing wire free doorbells (3) and fitting a plug to a sink chain (1).

Just been talking to my mate Simon at Handyman 365 who has recently been paid to open a back gate!

They had been pulling it like mad for days - he pushed it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Either they've somehow managed to exist in this world without noticing the paradigm that doors open /into/ destinations, or the original installer was incompetant and installed it the wrong way around.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

The destination depends on which way you are headed.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Indeed. My front door opens out because of the porch. Does this mean I can only leave the house by this door & I have to come back via the window?

And what about cupboard doors?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you know how many times I have been called out to a lighting fault due to blown lamps? Sure the customer have swapped them but they swapped them with faulty lamps.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And what a pain that can be. My parents' milkman was a complete prat and would frequently leave the bottles of milk on the step, a couple of inches from the (wooden) porch door. So every morning we had to carefully open the door far enough to check, without pushing any bottles off the step! Actually, I must ask them if that still happens.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Neighbour was painting first-floor window with the pot of paint on the windowsill when Mrs Neighbour decided to open the window to see if he wanted a cuppa.

Would have laughed even more if the paint had landed on the car.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In days of yore when mains sockets were sparse and TV service engineers paid home visits, I understand that a regular cause of callout to a "dead" set was that SWMBO had unplugged it to do the hoovering.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

John Rumm

you mean they still get a milkman?

tim

Reply to
tim....

I get my milk delivered, along with the newspaper.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Several years ago, I provided IT support to an organisation that decided to outsource rather than provide from within.

Most problems were sorted remotely but there was one particular user who was a real pain and, perchance, happened to be the boss's PA so if she reported a problem, I would get called to site (earning loads of bucks in the process).

I was once called out because she had "encountered an (unspecified) problem which prevented her working on an urgent report that had to go out that day". On arrival, I found that she'd lost the key to her desk pedestal and her lunch was in a drawer. Located a hammer. Opened drawer by removing front. Sent in three figure call-out bill. That's IT support for you.

The "IT Crowd" isn't far from the mark - "have you tried turning it on" solves a third of problems :)

Cheers Jake ============================================== Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

Jake

).

When you have worked with computers as long as I have you have a hammer in the tool kit. I had to borrow a hammer to fix a sun sparc that refused to boot when I was at cebit in Germany. The system drive just wouldn't spin up. They were bringing a new drive over with them but I needed it then not 6 hours later so I resorted to hitting the drive to free it up. It worked fine until the new drive arrived.

Reply to
dennis

Paperboys (girls / people) deliver milk now too? Blimey, glad I gave that game up...

Reply to
Steve

I (or rather, one of my lads) was once called out to a "printer not working" fault which was actually caused by the users unplugging the wall-wart power supply and putting it in a drawer "because all those wires are untidy".

Reply to
Huge

No, the postie delivers the milk and papers. And the post. And Screwfix parcels.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed, we still have milkmen around here. Since the council put in a couple of extra pedestrian refuges, getting past the damned electric floats on the main road is a bit more of a pain! As well as milk, yoghurt, cream and butter, they now deliver a much wider range of general shopping if you want. Unfortunately for us, every time we have arranged for milk to be delivered, over the months deliveries have got later and later, until we've had to cancel as they've slipped back to delivering after we've gone out to work!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I remember in the days of Thin Ethernet going round whole buildings trying to find who'd broken the chain.

"Anybody moved any furniture recently" was usually an early diagnostic question.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah yes, working your way back down the coax with a 50 ohm terminator looking for where it all springs back into life ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Our favourite remote fix for "it's dead" was "try moving the mouse or pressing a keyboard key". In the end we had to disable screen-savers (in the days when they really blanked the screen). Getting them to plug the monitor cable back in was another good one. The really sneaky one was when they fiddled with the colour map on VT340 terminals, setting everything to black on black. We had a reset escape sequence we could download to fix that one.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk