painting over stained oak window frames.

The wife has decided. The stained oak frames , dulux weathershield basecoat + sikkens cetol HLS plus clear are about 5 years old. Each winter the wind and rain we get takes its toll , - we are high up on an exposed moor.. We would like to paint them. Is it possible ?, any special preparation ? . Cheers

Reply to
capnahab

It is very hard to paint oak effectively, paint tends to peal off in a very short space of time. have you considered something like danish oil that soaks in.

Jonathan

Reply to
tredingtonmill

yep scrub them back and apply THREE coats of GOOD varnish.

If the are already dark from previous coats, make this clear.

Paining oak don't work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At risk of answering my own post (and thanks chaps) what about this then ?

capnahab

I cannot remember ever having seen an (opaque) finish applied to oak beyond limewashing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher