Where can I buy one of these cheap?

A bracket for a stair hand rail

are about £8 in B and Q and Homebase. (I need silver)

I need 2 and with Postage it comes to around £15 on screwfix.... seems like they should be a lot cheaper!

Any ideas on what other types of shops might sell them?

Thanks

Reply to
JoJo

I'd of tought the brass would have been dearer? sorry they only do white and brass here.

a localbuilders yard.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Incidently,send screwfix an email asking them is that the correct price as you think its a bit steep for one .

They do most of time have wrong pricings up on the website as I found out on paying a visit to their local store.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "JoJo" contains these words:

In my experience they're not very strong.

Our last two houses have had hand rails held up with these and they've both been really wobbly when we moved in - the stem works loose in the roundel plate.

What I really don't understand is why this house had one anyway. It's got a lovely mahogony rail up one side but up the other had a pine board screwed to the studding to spread the load and five of these brackets holding up a oine handrail. Very tacky. Since the wife needs two rails I got a matching bit of mahogony from the local timber yard for under £20 and bolted through it with stand-offs made from black painted broom-handle. Looks exactly like the proper original (except the patina isn't there yet) at half the price.

Reply to
Guy King

===================== There are two different types.

One has pressed steel plates ( not so strong) and the other has solid steel plates (much stronger). The Screwfix one appears to be solid steel, the Toolstation one appears to be pressed steel.

Look in your local Yellow Pages for 'Architectural Ironmongers' - they will probably have what you want at a better price.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

There's a selection here

Toby Sleigh

Guy King typed

The white painted ones at my place seem strong enough, don't they?

I've not had that. One of mine is *slightly* loose as a fixing screw on the roundel no longer bites.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

What are the ones here:

at the 3 bottom ones...

the reason i need them is because 2 have snapped on my current rail! - they are at the top when people put pressure on them when they are coming down - so stronger the better I guess!

Reply to
JoJo

> looking at the 3 bottom ones...

================== It's almost impossible to be certain from the views here. You really need to look at the other side of the fixing plates to be sure. However, I would think that the last one in the list is pressed steel ( weaker) and the other two *appear* to be solid steel (stronger) judging by the sharper edges of the fixing plates.

A quick 'phone call should give you a definitive answer.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

>>> looking at the 3 bottom ones...

PMSL that goes for the one from tool station as well, you can't determine what looks strong and what doesn't.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

7001&ID=7649

========================= A 15mm length of round steel bar welded into two 6mm steel plates is substantially stronger than the same 15mm bar welded into two 2mm pressed steel plates. Anybody with any experience of welding will know that.

The pressed steel handrail brackets are prone to failure under heavy load, first by distortion of the pressed steel plates and subsequently by breakage at the joint. Anybody with experience of these (e.g.probably the OP) will know that this is true.

When I had to install a second handrail in my home about four years ago I took the trouble to investigate the options. The pressed steel type are generally better for appearance but the solid steel ones are stronger as stated above.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If you wanted really strong handrail fixings you could just glue the bar into holes in the wall and the rail with epoxy, and stop fretting about the flanges :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley