Chimney brush for rod set - where to buy?

Anyone know where I can buy a brush, as used by chimney sweeps, that can be attached to my drain rod set?

The price that chimney sweeps are quoting now makes it a job for DIY!

Many thanks Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Big B&Qs sell a rod set with a brush included. I wouldn't try rodding drains with them though. I've snapped 3 in the last fortnight.

Reply to
Niall

if you are doing drains try:-

John Rumm

John Rumm

The sheds have 'em but what are you trying to sweep? A normal brick built chimeny or the flue from a woodburner? They really need different brushes. And don't knock the pot and/or cowl off the top...

Provided you watched a sweep do it and made (mental) notes it is pretty simple. But if you don't take the proper precautions you can easyly make one helluva mess... Soot is very fine, and depending on what you've been burning very dry and liable to "fly" at the least provocation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Kalico

Hmmph. I wish you had said that the right brush could be bought a year ago..... I spent a good hour or two with a pair of wirecutters, cutting down a chimney brush to fit the woodburner flue.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I got mine from hotline chimneys, they have a website.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

BES do brushes for drain rods sets, and they do both the normal cheap'n'nasty screw-up (and unscrew in inaccessible places) rods & accessories and the more secure 'lockfast' type.

mate of mine said he saw a sweep do a job yesterday: pulled in an enormous hose connected to a vacuum cleaner in his van to suck the crap away, something like £35 for 20 mins work

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Question Authority

Reply to
John Stumbles

Do you think that is expensive or cheap? I think the former, hence wanting the brush.

I am sure that the screw on type could be ok if they were rotated whilst pushing/pullling in the direction that would tighten. The problme is that they all seem to have plaastic bodies that could easily strip off the end of the rods.

Reply to
Kalico

=A3105/hr may sound a lot but I doubt that the sweep can manage to do more than a job every hour at best with travelling time etc. Not to mention capital cost of the van mounted vac, disposal costs of the soot (probably "hazardous waste"), fuel for the van, insurance - vehicle and professional, etc etc.

All the costs that the self employed/small business incure but wage slaves seem to forget when looking at a bill for "20 mins work".

I'd say it was on the cheap side.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then how's about my dentist - I recently paid £45 for a filling, took

20 minutes. Looking at his waiting room he was 100% productive every hour.

For sure there are costs relating to materials, equipment and occupancy. But I'm not sure what hurts more - the preparation for the filling, or paying when it's all over!

PoP

PoP

And what about a hairdresser? £15 for a haircut, 3 per hour = £45 per hour. Equipment is minimal, parts limited to a drop of shampoo (maybe). Occupancy costs - shared amongst 3+ hairdressers who are (usually) low paid.

PoP

PoP

Fing expensive, I pay, not sure, but the change from a tenner will buy a pint. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We don't have the good ol' barbers shop in Bracknell (leastways, I haven't found one) so it's into the hairdressers.

Bit of a pity having a young lady doing your hair though..... ;)

PoP

PoP

"PoP" wrote | Then how's about my dentist - I recently paid £45 for a filling, took | 20 minutes. Looking at his waiting room he was 100% productive every | hour. | For sure there are costs relating to materials, equipment and | occupancy. But I'm not sure what hurts more - the preparation for the | filling, or paying when it's all over!

Dental surgery equipment does not come cheap, neither does professional insurance, and the charming young assistant who wipes the dribble from your chin and holds your hand when it all gets frightening doesn't do it for free.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Dave Liquorice" wrote |PoP wrote: |> And what about a hairdresser? £15 for a haircut, |Fing expensive, I pay, not sure, but the change from a tenner | will buy pint. B-)

Electric clippers from Argos. No haircut bills in five years. And no time wasted reading The Sun whilst waiting either.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Lots of overheads though.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Better still, proper barber shop with a young(-ish) lady owner. £4 for a haircut, head fondle, and a flirt.

Reply to
John Laird

I need to know where you have your hair done.... ;)

It's a pity for all those baldies though.

PoP

PoP