Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

Don't know what you mean by "windows management interface". I've used Windows's own popup (from a tray icon) to select wireless when I had no Realtek software on the machine. I se no need for a slider.

Oh, I call that a "start menu". And on a multiscreen setup, I find metro easier, as it only fills one of the two or more monitors, so I'm not sure why you think it's worse with more monitors.

See other post, it's got LOADS of options now. Those were not there with the original or I would have played with them immediately.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Try getting drivers, security wear etc in a few(FSVOfew) months for XP.

Reply to
soup

You already can't get drivers. I tried to put XP on a brand new high spec computer about 9 months ago and I simply couldn't. Companies don't make XP drivers.

Security, who needs that? AVG and it's own firewall have aways done me. But then I'm not stupid enough to use IE or to go to weird sites.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

No great fan of m$ but we still have a couple of olde WIN2K machines one has been up for 8500 odd hrs and as to the main machine WIN 7 and I really can't fault it at all!...

Plus the odd couple of XP machines no problems there either..

Reply to
tony sayer

M$ gets blamed for blue screens. 99% of them are due to faulty memory. Always run 3 passes of memtest on a new machine.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Most BSODs that I've had have turned out to be faulty hardware drivers, mostly video card ones, and the others to badly written programmes or HD corruption. I've never yet had one that could be traced to faulty memory.

Reply to
John Williamson

En el artículo , Uncle Peter escribió:

Quite. Glad you're able to admit it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have, on three different machines.

On the first, Win NT ran, crashing once or twice a day, but otherwise okay. I needed USB support for something and tried to install Win ME, which would not even get past the installer (Win 98 would, but crashed every half hour or so). A memory test proved one stick of memory faulty. Replacing it cured the problem.

Years later, on the other two machines, both running the same motherboards, same processors and same memory but different version of Windows (Vista and 7) , first one stick and then the other of each failed - again the machines became crash prone, a memory check showed the fault and removing the faulty stick cured the problem until the other stick went faulty a few months later. Replacing the memory has kept both machines running (one is now running Windows 8 and I am using the other to try out Zentyal).

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I have. And then the memory test failed.

So I took the DIMM out and sent a guarantee claim. They wanted proof, so I put it back in. It's worked ever since...

I also saw loads when I worked on HW development, but I don't suppose that counts.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Ditto on various servers - reseating or replacing memory has helped a few times.

Reply to
Clive George

En el artículo , John Williamson escribió:

I'm very surprised. STOP errors due to bad memory are common. Usually STOP 0x7E or 0x7F.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have recently been involved with a Dell that was BSODing. Took one stick of memory out - OK. Obviously that as at fault. Make sure - swap the removed stick back in and take the other one out. Still OK.

Ended up that both sticks were fine - and motherboard was happy with either stick in either socket. But as soon as there were two sticks, it BSODed again. Confirmed by Dell engineer (was still under warranty) - and replaced.

Reply to
polygonum

Grow up.

-- =

"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodn= ey Dangerfield.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've found brand new cheap memory to be faulty 10% of the time. And decent memory to be faulty 3% of the time.

I always install the latest drivers and the only blue screen I ever saw that wasn't to do with faulty memory was a disk controller fault, and that was a hardware fault, not the driver.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've never known memory to BECOME faulty, it's usually faulty on purchase.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You can also lower the clock speed to avoid a fault.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Well I usually test it on purchase and in each case it's been running between 6 months and 2-1/2 years before failing.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

What make of memory was it? I've found Corsair Vengeance memory to be reliable.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The first I can't remember, the later two sets (4 sticks) were matched pairs from Crucial. I can't remember the particulars, but they were metal encased ones at the pricier end of their range at the time. I've still got them somewhere as I had to buy replacments immediately and never got around to sending the originals back.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I guess any memory would fail if you overheated it. Was it in one of those horridly small cases?

Reply to
Uncle Peter