Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

En el artículo , SteveW escribió:

Crucial have no-quibble lifetime warranty, so you should still be able to get them exchanged.

They had problems with their Ballistix DDR2 range - I had to have a couple of sets replaced. They even shipped one replacement set from USA and upgraded it from 4Gb (2x2) to 8GB (4x2) because they were out of UK stock.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

While the thread is still discussing memory, can simply fitting faster memory (faster than that for which the motherboard is specced) cause possible problems? I recently added more - and faster - memory to a middle-aged XP Pro PC. I swapped a pair of 512MB PC2-4200 (533MHz) for a pair of 1GB PC2-6400 (800MHz).

Although I didn't really notice any significant increase in performance, all seemed absolutely fine for at least a week. However, the PC then started to play up - crashing and seizing up, rebooting, and also failing to reboot (requiring a restart). I've restored the original memory, and I'll have to see if the trouble persists.

It has been suggested that the problem might be that the 800MHz memory is too fast. I've Googled to try to find a definitive yes/no answer, but there's so much waffle, and nowhere can I find a simple statement saying "Yes, you can use a memory which is faster than the motherboard spec". [I suspect that the specs were written at a time when faster memory wasn't available.] At best, the answers are typically "You can use a faster memory if the motherboard will support it".

So what's the real answer?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Which suggests that you are handling improperly and causing the failures you observe (or attributing some other fault to memory)

I don't recall having any failure on new memory devices from a range of manufacturers, after many hundreds of installs.

Reply to
John Rumm

No.

Since replacing the memory makes the fault disappear, then no.

Try cheap shit like Komputerbay.

Even Corsair Vengeance sometimes fails. In fact I've just found a dodgy stick today. It passed one round of memtest when I set the machine up a few days ago, I should have gone for 3 but I was in a hurry. It's now failing 30 seconds into the test.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

That is the nature of stats.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Blimey...

Do you install it on a nice nylon carpet with no static protection or something??

Out of hundreds (possibly even thousands - some machines take many DIMMs) I've had one failure that I remember, and that was far from cheap RAM. Sun microsystems stick of ram in a T5220 that buggered around from new (I think it was rebadged micron IIRC).

I've fitted all sorts of cheap nasty RAM in machines over the years. Never had f single one turn out to be faulty (yet...)

In terms of failures once installed - someone said they had never had RAM fail once installed? After hard drives (very frequent) and PSUs (fairly often) I'd say RAM is probably up there with CPU fan failures. Many of our machines run mirrored RAM so it doesn't take out the system but it's still far from unheard of.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Komputerbay DDR3 1600MHz. I always test with memtest before even installing an OS.

I did.

Hard drives I agree. PSUs, only if they're underrated for what you're running off them. I always get one that will never go over 50-75% load. Memory, no. If it works when I buy it, it lasts forever.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

En el artículo , Ian Jackson escribió:

Download and run Mentest86+ from

and run it overnight. If it passes, download Prime95 from
and run the torture test overnight. If that passes, the memory is most likely OK.

Memory can't be "too fast". It can, however, be too slow (not rated to run at the speeds at which it is operating).

It sounds as if you've been unlucky and your new memory has failed. Running the diagnostics above will tell you.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Can be very inefficient. Many (most?) of our servers have many small PSUs these days and shut them down when not needed to keep the remaining ones running at high load/efficiency.

It's normally the fans that die in them tbh - small, noisy and prone to fail. Desktop PCs with decent PSUs are less of an issue admittedly.

It's unusual, but not unheard of. Certainly I've had more die in service (can think of 3 in the last 12 months) than when new (can think of 1 in

20 years).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Nope all three were in decent sized cases - of the latter two, the main PC is in an NZXT full tower, with PSU and case inlet and outlet fans and runs very cool and the other PC is a midi-tower with PSU and case exchaust fans.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I read something somewhere (Corsair instruction manual?) that they are LESS efficient at full load. Best efficiency is either 50% or 75%, can't remember which. Anyway, a decent PSU provides almost no heat (if you have a case where the PSU gets its own air intake, you can easily verify this), so it's way more efficient than what it's powering.

A decent PSU has a 120mm fan running slowly (for quietness), hence it also does not wear out. Especially if it's not running at full load so requires little cooling.

Pot luck. 4 failures is not a very big data set.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It depends on what credence you give to his claimed install base of many hundreds of systems.

And how that compares to your claim that 99% of *all* Blue Screens are caused by faulty RAM

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Noted. Thanks for the advice.

I've run MemTest V4.0 (freeware), and it seemed to be OK. However, I'll look out Mentest86+ and Prime95, and give them a go.

BTW, I didn't mention that I'd also swapped the first pair of 800MHz memory cards for a second pair (different make, but also made the computer unhappy) - but I didn't memtest them. I'll give both pairs the tests.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Peter, there are a few people here who are computer professionals and have built or worked on hundreds of machines. We've seen blue screens from bad memory - but not often. We've seen dead new memory - but not often.

You seem to have a history of extremely frequent failures just after installation - which is not what the professionals get.

You are Doing Something Wrong. Either bad choice of components, or mistreating them in some way we don't.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

well I have. hundreds of machines over the years. Half a dozen bad RAM often after several years, or only showing up when some other card was plugged in the bus

Mosdt common fault is hard disk failure then fan failure then RAM and then CPU. Managed to escape the 'bad capacitor' phase.

I'd be in agreement there.

Semiconductors age with time and temperature, and timings start to drift to edge-of-spec esepcailly if the originals weren't great to start with.

Given that commercial stuff is NOt enigeneered tpo 'worst case' but generally engineered to 99.99% chance' level, it's surprsng that stuff works as well as it does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you memtest the memory when you bought it? Perhaps you only find out years later because you tax the memory more?

RAM don't run so hot as CPU and GPU.

You could always buy RAM rated much faster than you're going to run it.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How am I supposed to get a 120mm fan on a Mac Mini and why would I need one? The actual fan is running at about 1800rpm and is inaudible. I can crank that up to 5500rpm at which point it gets a bit noisy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

sometimes the designer will use the minimum hold time for the ram to allow them to change the address to start the next cycle early. If the ram is too fast the output will change too soon and put the CPU into a metastable state. Then anything could happen.

Reply to
dennis

I thought we were talking about proper computers, not ones Clive Sinclair could have invented.

Reply to
Uncle Peter