which combi?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:45:09 +0100, "Capitol"

That depends on your motivation. If it is purely economic and that really were the motivation then that may be the case. However, if you are also concerned about CO2 and NOx emissions and fossil fuel consumption then it may be a factor.
There is no reason to assume that a well designed and made (and I emphasise well designed and made) condensing boiler would be any less reliable than a simplistic one with mechanical parts.
For example, the flame failure thermocouple used in most "simple" boilers is an item that fails regularly. Granted they only cost 2 as a part, but if professional labour is used to fit then that goes up to at least 50 if not more. Bimetallic thermostats aren't that brilliant either. Other components such as gas valves are of similar technology and used in both cases.
That only leaves a fan, some thermal sensors, a microprocessor board and the condensate drain arrangement. Provided the electronics are of good design, using good quality components and not situated in a hot part of the case, reliability should be high. There is very little in a condensate drain.

Condensing technology is only relatively new in the UK, and it is well known that several manufacturers made a pig's ear of their early designs.
However, in most of the rest of Europe, notably Holland and Germany, condensing technology has been commonplace for 15 years. German consumers are noted for their expectation of reliability and good engineering so had condensing products been flakey for any length of time, it would not have survived.
http://www.dvgw.de
http://www.dvgw.de/pdf/portrait_e.pdf
where you will note that there is a lot of emphasis on quality

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
willsniffer wrote:

Ferroli are highly regarded, no divertor valve to go wrong. 499 for 80kW model from www.mrcentralheating.com The Ariston microgenius are another good make. I've had excellent service from their UK techie people. 27kw model is 539 from same outlet.
BillR wrote:

Ferroli are not highly regarded by me! We have a Ferroli Modena 1200 (with 8 rads and a decent shower as it happens), and it has given nothing but trouble in the last 2 years. It's my first experience of a combi, and possibly the last. It's noisy, unreliable and produces only a trickle of hot water in the winter.
--
Richard J.

What has gone wrong?

I agree. Best get the Ferroli Modena 102 rather than the 80, which gives a higher flowrate. The Microgenus is the smallest combi case around and has a keep-warm heat exchanger to eliminate the cold lag to taps that many combi's have. It has all failsafe devices such as anti-scale, anti-frost, built-in filler loop, time clock, etc.
The Wickes Combi 102 is a good boiler too. Made by Halstead
IMM wrote:

I meant to say the Ferroli Moderna102. The 499 price was for this model
Hi,
had a Worcester Greenstar 28KW last 2 years (not a CDi with the leaky exchanger). Been very good except a problem with the brains which Worcester replaced free of charge under Manufacturers Guarentee.
Heats 11 rads in 2 zone setup with an excellent shower and has a small internal reservoir for immediate hot water. It is quite large tho.
It also survived me draining down the heating, then switching it on by accident, then over-repressurising it, then restarting it with the water turned off. And every time I cocked up it gave me an error code which I could look up in the manual (Never DIY with a bad hangover).
Bax