Which Combi boiler?

I went to a local suppliers yesterday at Ultimate Discount Heating, and got quoted £619 for the boiler unit and any five radiators. They showed me that I have a choice of six combi's (the Biasi Riva compact had sold out) which were: Vokera Compact, Valliant Pro, Ariston Microgenus, Gloworm Ci Combi, Potterton Performa and Baxi Combi (each one having two different powers).

The Ariston model was the only one that comes with a two-year warranty, so I would be inclined to go for that one, but does anyone have their own views? Are there any particular ones with bad track records and reoccuring problems? And why is it only the Ariston one that has that extended warranty? Is it just the marketing or are they trying to prove something? Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for reading this.

MB

Reply to
Manic Blue

I have heard good things about the Ariston Microgenus. In particularly, it is very small, which is important if installed in a kitchen, or other liveable space. Vaillant are also well regarded. Personally, I'd give Potterton and Baxi a miss, as they seem to be trading on past glories.

You should note that most of these boilers are around the 24-28kW mark. They will provide excellent showers and ample washing up water. They may be a bit slow to fill baths. Fine for a one bath a week/month merchant, but hopeless for every day, or for running two showers simultaneously. If you only have one shower at a time, they could be perfect.

You'll have to be quick, though. Most of these boilers will soon be banned, as only energy efficient (usually condensing) types will be allowed soon. You may wish to pay a supplement and get a good 2nd generation condensing combi boiler such as the Ideal Isar, which will give lower fuel bills and environmental damage. On

the 30kW Isar is about

170 quid more expensive than the 28kW Vaillant Pro, although you might still be able to get a grant to cover some of the difference. (I got 100 quid through the scheme, but I think most of them are winding down).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Andy Hall" wrote | >The Ariston model was the only one that comes with a two-year | >warranty, so I would be inclined to go for that one, but does anyone | >have their own views? | Whether a two year warranty really means anything is a moot point. It | is really only a period of time during which the manufacturer provides | for certain things as a convenience. In the UK, your statutory | rights may exceed the warranty terms anyway, but you might have to go | to the courts to argue that.

All true. However the consumer's statutory rights are against the retailer, and if the retailer shuts up shop those rights disappear. A *manufacturer's* warranty gives a claim against the manufacturer, who might be rather longer-lasting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My Microgenus is fed from a tank 30 foot (1 bar) above. In the recent hot weather the tank water was above 20C. A bath filled up "very" quick indeed. In winter the flowrate will drop as the tank water becomes colder and requires more heat to raise its temperature. Great for showers at any time of the year.

Reply to
IMM

However, the majority of combi users will be attached to a mains supply, and can't rely on the water feed at 20C. In any case, this only really affects baths (and panel showers). A standard shower will get perfectly good performance from a 28kW combi any time of the year.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I said that.