new house - can't work combi boiler

we've just moved into new house last week, and there's a long list of jobs to be done... but top of the list is get the hot water/central heating working.
I've read the instruction manual but maybe I've misunderstood as still can't set the combi boiler (it's a Vokera excell 80SP) to provide decent flow of hot water for baths or shower. The temp varies from cold - tepid to hot (just briefly), and flow rate is poor.
any suggestions much appreciated - thanks - Katya

Combi boilers heat the cold water as it passes through the device. For that reason the water-flow is restricted because if it passed through at normal 'speed' it would not be heated up enough. Personally I wouldn't touch a combi boiler with a barge-pole. Several relatives and friends of mine have them, and they do nothing but complain about the unreliability, frequent need to call out plumbers, and the excessively long time it takes to fill a bath. Certainly the water temperature should not fluctuate while the tap is running so you seem to have a problem somewhere - but what may be causing that is anyone's guess without examining the thing.
Kev

jobs
The 80SP is a now an old model, but repairable.

is
that
More old wives tales. They bought cheap crap combi's that break down. Don't complain if you buy a Lada and it breaks down a lot. Combis are available with high flowrates that fill baths pronto.
In short:
1. Get the combi with the flowrate you need 2. Get a good quality model.
If you don't fulfil Nos 1 & 2 above then don't complain.

Not at all. They are not imagining the problems that they have!
They bought cheap crap combi's that break down.
Worcestor Bosch? Baxi?

Well I've yet to find anyone who owns one! Every single person I know who has a combi says the same thing: "Takes bloody ages to fill a bath."

Worcestor Bosch? Baxi?

I'm not complaining - because I don't have one of the wretched things. But everyone I know who has one has exactly the same complaints. They can't all have cheap 'crap' with poor flow rates!
Kev

still
rate
frequent
fill
Did you read what I wrote. More combi's are sold in the UK, and the EU, than any other type of domestic boiler. They don't all fail every other week.

W-B did make the odd dog, and Baxi? Forget it.

Because you not seen one doe not mean they are not there. Look at the Alpha CD50

You have been told, can't you focus and understand? High flowrate models are available, and have been for a long time. Read it all again if you can't understand it.

W-B did make the odd dog, and Baxi? Forget it.

Then don't whinge then.

can't all

#

Actually, during my poorer years I owned two Ladas in succession over eight years and neither of them broke down ever!
Combis are

Yes - it sounds impressive - but at over 1000.00 plus fitting charges it's more than most householders would be prepared to pay!
So I'll modify my criticism of combi's to: The majority of moderately priced combis will take ages to fill a bath!
Kev

You forgot to add "with lukewarm water suitable only for ducks"

Lucky man.

I can't account for cheapskates, and these whinge from the rooftops when they find their mismatched cheapo purchase doesn't deliver. An unvented cylinder, complete with valves, can cost around 1,500, then the boiler on top. The Alpha CB50, for what it offers, overall is cheap, and its saves a ton of space taken up by tanks and cylinders. Look at the big picture of the "system" rather than the box price.

That's getting better.

What you've got to realise, Kev, is that Drivel has his own standards for everything, so his idea of high flow is not the same as everyone else's.
My storage system fills a bath with water as hot as anyone would want at a rate of near 50 litres a minute between the two taps. Regardless of the time of year.
I'd like to know of any combi that gives approx 25 litres a minute at 60C all year round, but I'd not like to pay for it and the upgrading of the gas and water mains to feed it. Because my mains doesn't deliver 50 litres a minute.
--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

I agree. I'm quite prepared to accept that some combis are better than others - but I still wouldn't want one. With a tank full of hot water we can fill a large bath in no time at all with both hot and cold taps running to achieve a comfortable temperature - and both my wife and I have power showers every morning and there's always plenty of water available. Conventional boilers are less complex and easier to work on than combis (more space inside the cabinet for a start) and to my mind are a far better bet. The only downside to a conventional system is the space taken up by the water cylinder - but this does have the advantage of creating a warm 'airing cupboard' where towels and bedding can be stored, and where damp towels dry out nicely ready for the next day's showers!
Kev

It of course depends on the premises. In a small flat or house a system combi could well be the only option.
But if you've got the room, a conventional unpressurised storage system complete with header tanks will be the cheapest option with performance - if well designed - way above any combi. Regardless of Drivel's dribbling.
He obviously lives in a one bedroom flat and never washes.
--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

My God, he came out with some sense!!! You didn't write that! One of your mates at the clinic did it. The two of you sat there in a haze of flatulence trying to figure it out.

After all that optimism, it was clear a false start, as just misinformation and babble emerges. The UK is the only country in the world that has tanks in the loft. And what is this fool going to do for showers? Obviously run around the shower to get wet.
<snip drivel>

The Japanese have tanks in the airing cupboard, but then you are blind to the worldwide success of the UK copper tank industry in the past few years. The Japs gave up on your pathetic dribble combis years ago and now recognise the advantages that you can only get with a stored system.

..and the Tommies and Yanks knocked them out
<snip senseless drivel>
what the loony said...

He doesn't want to pay for it. Yes, that is what he said.

That has a tank taking up space in the loft, and a large cylinder taking up space in a useful cupboard, making the cupoard look like a school boiler room with valves and pumps hanging off it.

And they take up space yet again and vibrate the house down causing much noise next door may complain. A common cause of complain in flats, terraced and semi detached house. People don't like being woken up a 6.00 a.m. They are anti-social causing noise pollution. I know of one inscident in flats were the management agents made one flat take out the power shower pump because of the noise it made. They were told to fit a thermals store, or use an electric shower, if they wanted a high pressure shower.

Your knowledge of boilers is sadly lacking. Modern system boilers are the same as combi's with the only difference being a water section added.

A hell of a lot of space in ting British homes.

Other methods are there to create an airing cupboad using small rads taking up no space at all. As a cylinder takes most space in a cupboard there is little space left for clothes to be heated anyway.

Perhaps you need to find a decent plumber if yours looked like that. Or did you install them with your hacksaw?
--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

wrote:> > That has a tank taking up space in the loft, and a large cylinder taking

The attendants will be giving him his cup of tea soon.
<snip senile babble>

models
What you've got to realise, Kev is that this Plowman is the board idiot, amongst other internet loonies.
<snip drivel>

frequent
fill
Did you read what I wrote. More combi's are sold in the UK, and the EU, than any other type of domestic boiler. They don't all fail every other week.

W-B did make the odd dog, and Baxi? Forget it.

Because you not seen one doe not mean they are not there. Look at the Alpha CD50

You have been told, can't you focus and understand? High flowrate models are available, and have been for a long time. Read it all again if you can't understand it.

W-B did make the odd dog, and Baxi? Forget it.

Then don't whinge then.

You are dumb. Read what I wrote. They got the wrong models with the wrong flowrates.

They obviously have. For every dope who bought a cheap and nasty combi with a poor flowrate, there are 1000s of satisfied owners of good quality combi's with decent flowrates.
Now read what I wrote and understand.

So one in a thousand combi's sold is cheap and nasty?
Lies, damn lies and Dribble's made up statistics.