Ariston or Vokera boiler?

Sorry to start another "Which combi" thread but my choices appear to be limited by the width of the casing. At 400mm it seems to boil (sorry) down to the Vokera Compact 24, Ariston Microcombi 23, or Ariston Microgenus 23. My current boiler is a similar spec to these, and is quite adequate, so I won't be considering a higher output. Much as I'd like a condenser, the budget won't quite run to it and I'm slightly put off by the fact that our biggest local trade outlet (6 permanent counter staff) doesn't stock a single condensing boiler. Did I read somewhere that Ariston have a 2 year guarantee? Any other reasons to go for one or the other? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
stuart noble

Can`t comment on the boilers you mention since I have no experiance of either. However I can add to your confusion ;-) I also had the same width limitation when replacing my boiler recently, and found the Ideal Isar range are also less than 400mm wide. The 24kW condensing model would cost in the order of 600 to 700 quid. A google search of this group might also help since I seem to recal others have posted details of narrow boilers.

Reply to
John Rumm

"stuart noble" single condensing boiler.

Does Fred Dibnah shop there?

I have a Microgenus, the more powerful model. So far it is fine after 20 months. A bit noisy, but it is in a solid cupboard in the bathroom so noise is not an issue. The Microgenus is well specced, it even comes with a built-in filling loop. It has a reduced gas rate for CH to reduce cycling and a built-in two minute anti-cycle function. Run a Honeywell CM67 stat/programmer (or equiv) which also has an anti-cycle function, they work well. It has a two year guarantee and a 5 year guarantee on the plate heat exchanger. It is easy to fit. I was talking to the Aniston service agents, their service guys rate the Microgenus and say it is quite reliable. Parts are easy to replace

Look at the Worcester-Bosch Junior combi. That has a v small casing too and v simple inside with no 3-way valve. I would probably go for the Junior if buying today. No matter what combi you fit, fit a phosphor de-scaler to the cold feed and replace the cartridge once a year. You should do this on any water system.

Reply to
IMM

Going on previous threads shouldn't that be microgenera ( genera the plural of the noun genus)

Have i got this in before Andy Hall? :-D

the more powerful model. So far it is fine after 20

Reply to
steve

You are witty, so witty.

Reply to
IMM

I have worked on both boilers and would say the Vokera seems to be the better contructed. The both come from South of the Alps. I have not installed either unit so can't really comment further.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks, John. I'll take a look.

Reply to
stuart noble

So do you think it's noisy *because* it's in a cupboard? Noise I don't need as I'm often sitting next to it.

Better than the cdi range then?

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks, Ed. How does £350 inc vat fitting charge sound for the South East? Straightforward replacement with 22mm gas already in place and using the same flue hole.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's a fair price if the guy flushes the system out as per instructions. Assuming there is no further work (TRVs, better controls?) then 2 days is reasonable allowance, including filling in the 'log book'.

I'd download the instructions (they're probably online) and read them up first as then you'll know what needs to be done.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hm. A couple of replacements I know of were done without the flushing ("extra £400 guv"). What does it consist of exactly? Is it just running mains pressure water round the system, or something more complicated?

Reply to
stuart noble

You don't really need to do anything other than organize for water to come in at one end and the dirty water to out at the other. I have yet to be convinced of the use of pumps and other gadgets.

Most boiler instructions will ask for existing circuits to be flushed out at least once.

At the very least the installer should sign to say he has flushed the system etc. in the log book because the warranty might depend on it.

A boiler could be exchanged safely and working OK without folling all the instructions in a day in which case £350 is a bit steep, or maybe I'm too 'reasonable'.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"stuart noble" as I'm often sitting next to it.

I think so. A brand new design, until next year when all will have to be condensing boilers.

Reply to
IMM

instructions.

Thanks, Ed. Which part of the country are you in?

Reply to
stuart noble

Cheers. I'll add this to my 400mm wide list

Reply to
stuart noble

North London.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My God! I didn't think there were any "reasonable" Corgis up there.

Reply to
stuart noble

I really need to have someone show me how you go about (over) charging. I tend to be guided by what a job costs me to do rather than how much someone is prepared to pay for it. If I ask myself how much _I_ would be prepared to pay it comes out a lot cheaper than what I charge!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not so

Not every situation can be fitted with a condensing boiler due to nuiscance pluming (flats, etc) - so a choice will still be available (B rated).

Learnt that yesterday at a Corgi seminar.. (I previously thought as you did)

Regards

Reply to
Colin eclipse 2

"stuart noble" single condensing boiler.

I personally wouldn't fit a Vokera - ever (or a Potterton for that matter)

I have had too many customers having difficulties with them - I ripped one out at the beginning of this week and fitted a glowworm the guy was so fed up with it.

Reply to
Colin eclipse 2