What sort of screw?

Trying to repair my Bosch hedge trimmer I find all the screws are Torq T15 except for one which looks like a Torq but has a little dimple in the head of the screw so that my Torq screw driver doesn't fit. Please anyone got any idea what these type of screws are called so I can get a screwdrivers for it .

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

"Sam Farrell" wrote

Sounds like some kind of security measure. They make allen screws with dimples also. You need the appropriate tool, but with a hollow "tip" to accommodate the dimple IYSWIM. Look at the bottom of this page for details:

TheScullster

It's an "anti tamper" torx type. Get a fine lever and break the pin out and use an ordinary torx driver. Or wander down to any half decent place selling tools and buy a complete set of "security" 1/4" hex drivers for about a fiver...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These are tamperproof torx heads designed to slow you down from dismantling tools!! Provided the screw is not too tight, try a small flat bladed screwdriver wedged between the central pip and a couple of the star points. Nasty bodge but often works in an emergency.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

These any good?

Old Git

've got that set and have used it in the past on what sounds exactly like the OP's screws.

David

Reply to
Lobster

These look like what I need, many thanks

Sam Farrell

These look like what I need, many thanks

One of the screws on my pressure washer was a T15 security screw with a little 'tit' in the middle, preventing the use of a normal torx screwdriver. I attacked said tit with a spring-loaded centre-punch, and managed to break it off so that an ordinary torx screwdirver would fit.

Maybe worth a try?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I bought the set of security Torx bits from Machine Mart for £6 ages ago and have used them *a lot*, as regular Torx too. They don't seem to have worn at all. I guess they need to be made of something better than the usual liquorice to handle having the hole down the middle.

Coincidentally, it was while trying to 'repair' my Bosch hedge trimmer (replace the chopped cable more like) that I found one of the little standard Torx buggers was so deep, in such a narrow hole, that I had to pop down to Screwfix and buy a set of proper screwdriver style Torx drivers.

Always nice to find a real excuse...

Reply to
PCPaul