Poss OT: Skylight Replacement Cost

Our Factor in this property of 8 owners has just submitted an estimate for supply and replacement of a roof skylight ( access via the loft) and it is for £365 + VAT which seems rather high . It's nothing special.Just a single hinged opening window big enough to allow one person to get access to the roof . I'm going to ask the Factor to get other estimates but meantime would appreciate other opinions on the cost . .

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Is the roof sky light a Velux type or an old victorian. Whats the roof covering, slate or tile ?. The cost of a Velux M04 GGL including a EDL flashing kit plus 3"x2" or

75mm x 50 timber trimming with 4" or100mm screws plus labour =A3354

Velux + materials =A3214. Labour 2 men =A3140 inc vat. excluding waste disposal.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

It's not a Velux.it's just a skylight on a Victorian tenement to allow enough room for a man to squeeze through to get out on the tiled roof ....same as thousands of Glasgow tenements have . Something like this tho' it is d/glazed .

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

2 men for £140? Whats that for, an hour?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

FWIW, I had one fitted 5 years ago; consulting my records I see the (basic) Velux skylight cost me 90 GBP from Magnet, and the labour was

211 GBP - however that was for a skylight installed from scratch; plus a 3m length of guttering replaced; plus a through-tile shower vent; plus one or two other minor roof repairs.

David

Reply to
Lobster

To take out an old victorian sky light and fit a new velux,carcass timber frame , making good to extrea roof around sky light and making good to plastering to cieling around new sky light.

2 men per day each =A370 =3D =A3140 I think any one would find that reasonable.
Reply to
Kipper at sea

Why a Velux? ....this is more like what is needed

or £107

altho' that's d/glazed which isn't needed .

there will be no plastering to a ceiling as it's a skylight in a loft not a room in a house ..it's not there for light .it's to allow workies out on to the roof when need be .