What are Dremels for?

Page 1 of 5
I am desperately looking for something for SWMBO to buy me for Christmas - and am wondering about the Dremel Pro 3950 kit (including 40 accessories) which Argos are now selling for about 55 (down from 70).
I've looked at Dremel's website which has a long list of "projects" which you can undertake with the kit - many of which I probably woudn't want to do, and some of which require additional accessories not included in the kit.
I would be very interested to hear from those of you who own Dremels. What sort of jobs do you use them for - particularly if you also have a good range of full size power tools? Where do they sit on the brilliant vs waste of money scale? [55 still seems a lot of money to me - and 70 seems a hell of a lot!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I have one of these and a year on am wondering just that...
Saying that although I've only used it a few times it has saved my ass. I have used it very sucessfully to slot screws / bolts etc that I have rounded when trying to tighten / remove them. Simply slot it and unscrew. works everytime...!
I had actually forgotton I owned one until I read your post! Still, a must needed gift, like my angle grinder, only used that a couple of times, but damn handy when I have!

I got one as a present a couple of yours ago, and I use it sporadically. I will say that the things I've used it for would have been difficult or time consuming with only the other tools I have.
The cutting discs are useful for opening plastic casings, and all manner of slotting/grooving jobs. The burrs have been great for little jobs that would have been a pain with a file. Haven't used the polishing stuff yet, but will soon!
Not something for heavy use, but good to have.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I have had one of the electronic speed controlled versions for some time (predecessor to the 3981) and use it a fair bit - not every day but perhaps a couple of times a month.
The main attachments that I use with it are small drills for fine work, sanding smallish areas in confined spaces and the cut off discs which work well for metal cutting up to a few millimetres - e.g. nails and screws, and even copper plumbing tube in tight places. I occasionally use the steel brushes and similar tools for cleaning up areas of metal or stripping paint in detailed mouldings.
Really this is a tool which is intended for small work and in difficult places. The cutting off is not going to compete with an angle grinder. I think it's reasonable value for money for what it does.
If you are looking for something that will do a range of jobs but with a bit more beef, I can recommend the Fein Multimaster. This comes in a basic fixed speed version for about 100, a variacle speed one for 130, both with a few accessories and a variable speed one in a steel case with a lot of accessories for 158.
The principle of this tool is a rapidly oscillating head. There are sanding and cutting accessories that will also get into tight spots. The accessories for grout removal are particularly good.
I probably use the Multimaster more than the Dremel, at the moment most weekends so consider this one really good value.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
<Dremel>

I think it's excellent value. Spouse uses his almost daily - but he's making small items, bone needles, horn spectacle frames, brass pins and the like. It's invaluable to him, so much so that when his first was stolen he went out the same night and bought another.

Mary
Andy Hall wrote:

Oh, on 2mm seel motor shafts, it definitely does :-)
I think it's reasonable value for money for what it

Dremel is a modelmakers tool. Its superb at those sorts of jobs, or possibly fr drilling your won teeth. If thats not your bag, don't get one...

Consider the Minicraft drills from Rapid electronics, www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

Better still, Expo tools http://www.expotools.com/store/system/index.html where they're being sold off. Unfortunately, Minicraft were bought by Rotozip and have now closed down along with Rotozip UK.

Is there a dremel newsgroup?
You could sit typing of an evening about what attachments you have, discuss off-topic issues, have competitions e.g who can cut through a piece of paper the quickest, explain how you converted it to a food mixer, when the wife's kenwood packed in
You could even take it out of the case from time to time and brush the dust off
--
geoff

LOL! Seriously, that's what worries me - that it would spend all its time in its case - and would never get used! Guess I'll have to look for other ideas.
Many thanks to all who have replied.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

It's not a tool for 'normal' DIY, but more for hobbies. I've not got an actual Dremel, but a cordless Ryobi, and a mains powered B&Q Dremel lookalike. The Ryobi gets used a lot for my electronics stuff - drilling PCBs etc, the mains one not much. I don't think I've ever tried to use either for what I'd call normal DIY around the house. But then I'm a bit of a tool junkie, so have most of the common stuff.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Hi
I use mine only rarely. Really I think its only advantageous when working on tiny items. I wouldnt buy a Dremel, you can get other makes for a fraction of the cost. The basic rule is if its advertised a lot youre paying for the ads.
If youve got 55 to spend though, a mini drill has to be pretty low on the list. What do you wantt o do that you dont have the tool for?
Regards, NT
On 21 Dec 2003 02:49:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

I haven't used a dremel, but I do have a Rotozip which looks like a dremel on steroids.
I have found that my Rotozip is 'kin brilliant for cutting holes in plasterboard, such as to fitting a new sunken socket (or as a couple of weeks ago, cutting a neat recess for a bath that was too long for a bathroom).
PoP

Sounds like a good tool. But 80 for an electric motor driving a rotary file sounds a bit much. Or am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
(N. Thornton) wrote:

They do a lot more. The PP PRo version is beefy and also has a router base. 50 get you one in Focus.

I bought mine on ebay for 25, and it included a circle cutting attachment. I haven't used the latter yet but it looks pretty handy for cutting out smaller circles, say 20mm - 100mm.
There are a whole load of Rotozips on ebay on any day of the week, all going for 20-ish. Brand new too (as mine was).
PoP

Avoid Rotozips. They have been discontinued and difficult to get parts and bits for them.

writes

competitor, parts still seem freely available and my local hardware shop don't seem to think there will be any problems for the foreseeable future
--
geoff

Famous last words. They are no longer sold in the UK. It is a matter of time before the parts and bits dry up. probably sooner rather than later.
The PP Pro is the best bet. Cheaper and probably less chance of disappearing. The Focus model also uses the same bits.

..... and spare parts are available? Like for Erbauer products?